Why are there so many Italians in the Staten Island/New York/New Jersey area?

They came through Ellis Island. But why did the Italian population decide to stay when most others obviously didn't?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They wanted to settle down I guess.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My grandfather came from italy in the 30's from Naples he absolutely loved NY and that was it..love of NewYork..Families then grew and grew and grew.!!LOL It is VERY hard to not love New York...WE go there every year sometimes 2 times a yr and always go to visit ellis island and recently ground zero too!!!!! Italy is very big and loud and friendly in general..and many things there are family like and that is what ny gives you...
    peachface21

Answer by peachface21 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They came to live in the industrial cities to work (ie NYC, Boston, Philadelphia). They established their own "Little Italy" communities and through those it made it easier to arrive and stay.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The U.S. has the largest Italian immigrant population in the world. Many did return back to Italy, but their children and grandchildren remain. Most Italians settled where the ships dropped them...NYC etc because they did not have enough money to go any further. This was an issue for many immigrants. My great grandfather came to Maryland by ship from Poland. My grandfather grew up there. As a young man, he had a friend who told him he could get him a good job working in Chicago, my grandpa made it as far as Toledo, Ohio and ran out of money...and here we are today in Toledo. Many other ethnicity's stayed, China Town for example and there are tons and tons of Irish Americans in NY as well. But the Italians just out numbered those other immigrants, so it seems like they stayed and the rest did not.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My grandparents stayed in Brooklyn. I was raised out on Long Island and my mom moved back there.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The others moved on because of all the Italians? ;-) Just kidding
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010