DHR is coming to inspect my home next week. What will she be looking for?

I'm in the process of opening an in-home daycare. DHR is FINALLY coming out, and I don't want her to find anything wrong, b/c then it will take forever to get her BACK out. What will she be looking for?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i am a licensed provider in my home and this is what i had and have to do. all stairs must be blocked off,outlets covered, a fire ext that is 2a 10b-c, if u have a fireplace it must have a gate around it, step stool in b rm paper towels (bath towels not accepted) soap,gloves and changing pad, first aid kit, all guns locked w bullets seperated and locked, stickers on sliding glass doors and windows that are low,meds locked away from kids as well as cleaning supp. all drawers w knives and other harmful things must have child safety locks, med in fridge must be covered and labeled, pets are ok but they ask about shots, fire drill escape plan posted. manly look to see if hazardous areas and if not fenced yard you'll be required to be outside w kids.
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Make sure any chemicals or medicine is in locked cabinets, baby gates at stairs! That's all i can think of but im sure you have already thought of those!
    marci775

Answer by marci775 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• make sure things are baby proofed, they have a spot to sleep and eat, the bathroom has a little potty? all chemicals are put up and locked away, toys are safe.... im sure you can look up a list somewhere...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 11:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• -100% clean house
    -enough space for as many kids as you filed for to take care of
    -clean police record (they probably already have it, if not they will -maybe- ask for it)
    -probably if you can provide educational toys
    -no cleaner (chemicals ect.) in reach of children
    -no medicine unlocked
    -if you have stairs in your house, make sure you have gates on ALL of them
    -write down all important emergency numbers and put them near the phone

cant really think of anything else right now. but i think thats the most important stuff.

i cross my fingers... good luck! :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• All that M.robertson811 said plus..electrical outlet covered. no exposed extension cords. My cousin said she had to have a meals and snacks scheduled posted. Also if you have babies a changing table with hand washing facilities close by. Gloves for diaper changes too.if you will have kids over and under three the toys have to be in spearate places to avoid choking hazards. I don't klnow if it's a rule or not but every home daycare I've ever been in has a poster posted about CPR and the Heimlich manuever. thats all I can add
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I know every place is different! So some of these things may not apply to you, but in addition to what everyone else said: Fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, and Carbon Monoxide detectors are a MUST!

Also, here, if the daycare provider owns any animals then those animals must be kept away from the children. Dogs must be in a kennel away from the kids the same with cats (although I've heard that with cats you can keep them in a different room, locked up).

Fenced in back-yard is also a MUST here! Caging the animals is the main reason that I never attempted to get license or have childcare in my home. I didn't get my dog to cage him all day. I just didn't think it was fair to him.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:38 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh I just wanted to add that they should have given you a list of what you need done.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2008