My son can climb out of his crib now.

We have a toddler bed, but I'm just nervous about this. I'm so afraid he's going to get out while we're asleep and go out the front door. We have locks at the top of the door, but I'm still paranoid about it! What if we forget to lock it before bed? What if he crawls up on something and figures out how to unlock it? Not to mention, getting him to stay in his bed and go to sleep is the ultimate battle of wills! Were you nervous when your LO transferred to toddler beds? Any tricks I can use to keep him in bed?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• My 26 month old is still in her crib thanks to a crib tent. I know she would not sleep if she could get up and play. I know naps would be a thing of the past. No thanks to both. But that's my child's temperment. You have to evaluate your own child.

When we do move her to a bed, I'm going to put her door knob on backwards so the push button lock is on the outside. Yes, I will lock her in. There is NO good reason she needs to be able to leave her room in the night.
    Potty training? Fine, put a small potty in her room.
    What about a fire? Do you really want to search the entire house and every closet and cupboard to find your child or do you want to know which room she is in?
    What if she's sick? That's what baby monitors are for. There is no reason to stop using one - think of it as a one-way intercom system instead of a baby monitor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• get one of those baby bed gate things...
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7767660
    and put the other side up against the wall... and as far as going out the front door i hope he doesnt...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 11:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We "lock" our boy in his room at night (put one of those doorknob things on the inside of the door so he can't let himself out of the room). There is a world of trouble he can get into when we're all asleep. Getting out of the house, countertops and knives, the stove, the fridge...etc.
    kya143

Answer by kya143 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• But we put a baby gate up on the oldest bedroom as a precaution because we live in an old house with steep stairs. We put the door knob covers on all the important door handles. Changed the top door lock to a key lock that we took out at night to make sure he couldn't push a chair to the door and unlock it. We just put the mattress and box springs on the floor for the first few months so he wouldn't get hurt if he did a little tumble. Of course, they get to the point where they sleep like logs and you don't have to worry for the most part and most of the child locks and such become more of piece of mind for you than help really, but it got me through the first kid. But you can get the mesh side rails for the toddler bed too and put a bell on a string over the doors like my grandma used to do so if the door opens, you hear it
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• kya143...I'm so glad I'm not the only one that does the "locking" of the bedroom doors. We also put the doorknob things on the inside of the bedroom doors so they can't get out at night. My girls are so nosey and into everything, that I feel better knowing they can't get out of there rooms and into things that may hurt them while we're asleep. I am a VERY heavy sleeper, and don't hear anything during the night. Hubby is a pretty heavy sleeper also, so anything we can do to make sure they are safe we do it. They also have the mesh gate thing on one side of there beds, and the other side is up against the wall. They've never fallen out of bed with those on there. As for keeping him in bed...we followed the Nanny 911 trick LOL! Everytime they get up, you just put them back in bed without saying anything to them. Eventually they will learn that they have to stay in bed.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 12:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We had the doorknob thingy too, and my girl would knock on the door when she wanted out of her room. lol It was so cute. The thing with locks is that if something happens to the parents where you can't get the child out of the room (unconscious or something) then no one else can get in the bedroom either. However, in that type of a severe case they would probably break the door down anyway. I find though, that at that age they don't really ever get up and roam around. Its possible, and you do need to know your child, but my kids never did it unless they were just coming into our bedroom or to the bathroom. At 10 and 12 they get up more and go watch TV or get a drink or hop on the computer (usually early in the morning though).
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008