2 questions in 1.

I have the Mirena IUD and I'm going to have it removed because I don't trust it...lol. I'm incredibly afraid of getting pregnant and If I do not do something to physically prevent pregnancy (ex. take a pill each day) I feel like I'm not doing anything to prevent it.

I've had this happen 3 times now in the course of a few months.....
I have intercourse with my hubby and about 3 weeks later I take a test because I'm a worry wart and I get a VERY FAINT positive...but then a few weeks later it comes up negative. What is up with that?

My other question is,
how many days after having intercourse is it best to test for pregnancy?

I know, I know..."After you miss your period" but my cycle is crazy weird even without having an IUD and I have no way of know when I should be expecting one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get a positive with my son until I was 6 weeks along. I don't think you can get one until you are at LEAST 4 weeks and thats IFFY. I had Mirena for two years and it worked great for me. I had it taken out to TTC, but haven't had much luck yet. Of course it took 9 months after going off of BC for me to get pregnant because of the hormones.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was seven weeks with my first and three with my second when the test came back positive. My best advice is to use your first urine of the day. It has the most HCG in it. The only reason my first baby didn't show up as early as the second was because I was testing in the afternoon and night. The first time I tested with my first urine the line was so thick it was purple. GL Which ever way you want it to go. I had Mirena too and I didn't like it! So I know what your feeling on that too! lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's best to test 12+ days after ovulation. Buy an ovulation monitor to determine when that is and learn to read your body's signs.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well, for starters the Mirena IUd is the very best thing you can do to prevent pregnancy. I would advise you NOT to remove it. There is a very small chance that you could get pregnant while on it- but it is like 1 in I,ooo,ooo,ooo. But it does happen. I have had Mirena for 3 years and I don't even think about it. My period is lighter and calculated, and its effective for up to 5 years. I plan to remove it in about a year, try for baby number 4 and then tie everything up. You are just stressing out about getting pregnant again, and if that's the case then watch for discharge once a month- when you go to the bathroom and wipe yourself, there's a clear substance that you'll probably notice. That means you are ovulationg. To be safe- Do not have sex when you notice that. It generally lasts for about 3 days, then its gone. once that's over, you can expect a period..
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010