(for Christians) Do you do whatever the Bible tells you?

like if it told you to go jump off a cliff, you'd do it? Or hop around on one foot while singing a Mary Got a Little Lamb? not ragging, just curious how dedicated people are to an ancient writing from a culture 20 centuries ago in another part of the world.

I wouldn't. My dignity is more important than hoping I'm not doing this for nothing.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree with the OP. You cannot apply all the same rules in today's world.
    Would you consider having a village stone your child to death for misbehaving or offer your daughters to strangers to be raped?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Not ragging? This is really disrespectful. Christians can have dignity too.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If I thought there was a chance that what I was doing was for nothing, no I wouldn't bother. But I have already been given more than I could ever describe so I already know it isn't for nothing.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 10:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I read the Bible differently than most Christians, and don't put as much authority in it as most do (I don't believe its literal, or the Infallible Word of God).

The funny thing is, though, the Bible doesn't say anything about jumping off a cliff or hopping on one foot. The Bible I read expresses the importance of love and compassion for our fellow man - something I don't believe is at all undignified.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• As widely read as the Bible is...I still can't believe how misunderstood it is. It is all about context. If you take anything out of context it can be interpreted badly. I can't help but think that you are comparing it to a cult...where you blindly follow every instruction from your leader even though it may put you or others in danger. The Bible is not at all like that. It's about discipline, love, and caring. It is very similar to a parent giving a child rules to live by because they want the child to succeed. It also promotes community rather than putting yourself above all others.

There are some things in this world that are timeless and the basic principles of the Bible are just that. It doesn't matter when it was written, the concepts are still applicable today.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I totally do whatever the bible tells me.... every time the weatherman says "rain" - I build an arc and gather up all the neighbor pets in twos- boy do I feel silly when I have to return the pets and tear that arc apart only to rebuild it and do it again....

SERIOUSLY- you are scraping bottom now- you may need to find a new drum to beat.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Your question appears to mock someone for being obedient to God, mocking them for trusting in Him beyond themselves.
    "My dignity is more important than hoping I'm not doing this for nothing." There is danger in pride. It is deceptive and destructive. Are you really so sure your own righteousness is better than God's?
    Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.
    CafeMom...

Answer by CafeMom... at 10:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't believe what I do to be saved. SORRY
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Zoeyis.. You should read what Satan tried to do to Jesus in the Wilderness... You see Satan acted like you.. and yes oh yes Satan knows the bible WELL but he also knows how to twist it to his liking. Its what he does... ALL the time! However the response Jesus gave was that He also knows the bible and WHY He spoke those things.. You see God does see the WHOLE picture... we only see in part and know in part but what Jesus walks in is Love and Revelation where as Satan adores hatred and deception.
    I think I would stick with His word.... and use discernment... no you would never convince me to jump off a cliff.. that would be called SUICIDE and I am not in charge of ending my life.. I am in charge of submitting my life to a Father who adores me and to Jesus my beloved bridegroom who is deeply in love with me.. Its all about love and not the worldly kind either!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My perception of God is that HE IS GOOD and always in a GOOD MOOD! Know why? HE SEES the end results in the lives of the believer. It will only be at the end of the age that the wrath will come.. Not now... not at this present day.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010