Delivering twins and epidural?

Any day now I am having twins. I was told I'm delivering in the surgical room just in case but I plan on doing a vaginal delivery with no meds. I have had two previous pregnancies without meds so I don't know what to expect from them. My question is if something does go wrong and I have to have a c-section what will happen? Will they give me an epidural or completely knock me out since I wont already have IVs in place. I was so excited to learn I was at one and forgot to ask the Dr lol. Thanks!

mamarocks3

Asked by mamarocks3 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If you are already trying to give birth by vaginal delivery and you they didnt give you and epi yet, then its possible that they will "knock you out" completely, because the epidural takes about 30minutes to work. And when the babies are already on their way out then they wont be able to do it anymore - unless they stuck and its an emergency.

If you already started with the epi then of course it will be possible to get a c-section with only the epi and no "knock out" ;)

... continue in next post...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• .....

I had a c-section with epidural. I hated it :( Wish i would have been able to give normal birth.
    You get a tiny little shot in your back (you can barely feel it), this will numb this little place where they will set the epidural. After its numb (takes about 1minute), they will put the epi in your back (you wont feel any pain, only your feet and legs will tickle and then they get heavy). After about 10-15 minutes they will test if your belly is totally numb. You will still be able to feel hot and cold and that they are doing something but NO PAIN AT ALL. :)
    Then they open the belly (takes about 2-3 min.), then they get out the babies.
    This whole action takes about 5-6 minutes and then you are ready to get it stitched back up :) (which takes about 30minutes) :D

i still remember it like it would have been yesterday lol
    m.robertson811

• It would probly be best if you did start with an epi that way if something goes wrong and they need to take the baby's right away than you'll be ready and you'll be awake to see them born. And if you do deliver then vag you'll still be able to enjoy them being born cause you won't be in pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Wow they don't automatically put an IV in you Josie even for just clear fluids? Here I'm 99% sure they put one in you automatically (even without anything hooked up to it) "just in case" (I had 2 c-sections so I got them)! I think it all depends on the situation..if they knock you out or just give you an epi...such as are the babies in distress, etc....

Good luck hun and I can NOT wait to see those babies!!!!! xoxo
    photosbybobbi

Answer by photosbybobbi at 11:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Take the dope while it's legal to.
    Anonymous

• Ok, I was in labor with my first & had to have an emergency c-section since it was my first they gave me an epi, however, with my next 2 which are both repeat c-sections they were spinal blocks which is like an epi but numbs from your nipples down & does not last as long as an epi. You should ask your Dr. which would be the best choice for you. Normally they do not knock you out unless it is very serious or the epi or spinal do not work. good luck & get them babies out would ya hahahah
    LovinMyBabies18

Answer by LovinMyBabies18 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008