When to start wearing makeup?

i have 2 daughters...a 12 yr. old and a 9 yr. old. Some of my older daughters friends are wearing makeup, but i feel 12 is too young. Am i wrong for thinking that? Please..let me hear what you think!!!

kld1979

Asked by kld1979 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Most of my daughter's friends and classmates started wearing makeup by the time they started middle school (6th grade), but my daughter waited until she was 13 and going into 8th grade. She has dark circles under her eyes due to allergies, so I let her use concealer and a mineral powder base. I also started her with clear mascara, lip gloss, and very light eye shadow - no eyeliner. She's in high school this year and wearing about the same, which is a fairly natural look.

We made a few basic rules:

1. Putting on makeup cannot make you late for school.

2. Makeup left out in the bathroom will be confiscated.

3. Daddy and I have the right to ask you to remove anything we feel is inappropriate, and we don't have to have a specific reason.

So far this has worked really well for us. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm going to be the same way my mom was with me, with my own kids. No makeup until 16. But it's personal preference.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• At 12-13 we let our girls start wearing lip gloss and mascara. As they get older they can wear a little more as long as it is in moderation.
    wickedstepmom

Answer by wickedstepmom at 10:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think 13 is a good age to start, but nothing drastic. I know a girl who just turned 13 who has been wearing make-up since she was 10. She looks 17 and has already had sex. Her mom doesn't care...she goes out and leaves her alone to party with her friends.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was in 6th grade when I started. And that was long ago, so, I imagine now...I would have had some on a little sooner. LOL I wore mascara, blush and lipgloss. As I got older, I add to it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It sucks because everything is being done so young..I say it depends on your child too. If you think she is too young then she probably is.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I will let my daughter start wearing a little when she's ready for 7th grade. She's got such amazing skin, so she doesnt' need foundation
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I allowed my DD to start wearing very light pink eyeshadow and some powder at 12. That's what my mom did for me and my sister too.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was allowed to start wearing makeup when I started 8th grade, BUT that was only a little blush and eyeshadow. I wasn't allowed to wear foundation or eyeliner, or even lipstick, until my 10th grade year in high school. Even though I thought it was "not fair" at the time, I'm glad that my mom put that restriction on me because as I went on through 8th grade then 9th, I was seeing some girls who's foundation DIDN'T Match their skin tone and they would get laughed at and made fun of by the guys. "Hey why is your face one color and from your chin down it's another color?" This gave us (me and my mom) time to work on finding the "RIGHT" foundation shade for me, and time for me to learn to apply it properly. I think "kids" today try to grow up way to fast, so best of luck with your situation.
    gatormom0407

Answer by gatormom0407 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Maybe light eyeshadow and colored lip gloss would be alright for a 12 year old, but nothing more. I didn't start wearing makeup until I was 13 or 14.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010