how long does it take to have a molar extracted? is it painful?

i have medicaid and im assuming that they arent going to want to pay for a root canal...is getting it pulled easier than having a root canal?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• For me, getting it pulled was better than a root canal. I had both. The root canal was worse only because he couldn't get me numb. So, I finally said just freaking do it. The extraction was quick and fine and I didn't have to worry about getting a crown.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The worse part, imo, about extractions is waiting for the blood to stop. Just make sure you get your pain prescrip. filled asap. Extractions are a lot better than root canals
    Ciela372

Answer by Ciela372 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would advise that you find a dental school clinic at a college or university where they can do dental work cheap---the students and an instructor do the work as part of the Dental college program. I had some work done years ago and it was really good work, just slower because the instructor checks every step as it is done. Very carefully and accurately. THEN you can get a root canal. Once you start having teeth pulled, it won't be long before you will have dentures and that is horrible. Trust me....try to keep your teeth.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had a root canal done on one of my lower left molars, but I never could afford to get the permanent crown on, so it eventually broke and I had to have it extracted. I've also had one of my lower right molars extracted. And I just had a root canal done on my upper right molars on Monday. From my experience, the root canal (though it is more expensive) was better and less painful to me. With extractions you have to worry about dry socket and getting food stuck in the open hole. With the root canal you just have a few days of discomfort and then you have to get a permanent crown put on it. Plus you don't lose that tooth. I am missing two of my teeth and wish that I would've been able to save them both because it gets difficult to chew because your gums get easily irritated.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had a root canal done on a molar, but never got a crown. I was active duty military and the dentist put a filling over it instead of a crown. The tooth eventually abscessed and I had to get it pulled. It hurt for about a week and then I was a fine. I have a permanent bridge over the space and I can't tell the difference anymore. In your case, the severity of your tooth problem will depend on what course of action will be taken. Dentists like to do everything they can to save the tooth.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i personally had a much easier time with the root canal then i did with an extraction...
    i had the same thing happen as lzsarejman with an army dentist putting a filling over a root canal instead of a crown! I didn't get an abscess... but part of my tooth did chip off and they had to re-contour my gums in order to get a crown on it later.
    Now days dentists will try and do everything they can to save a tooth rather than pull it out
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Getting the tooth pulled is easier that having a root canal and crown it is also cheaper. However, you then have a hole in your mouth depending where the gap is this can really affect your smile. Also sometimes your other teeth around the gap will shift into the new opening leaving them more widely spaced then before.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010