What do you pack for your kindergartens lunch

Looking for ideas on what to send for my sons lunch and how to either keep it cool or warm for when he eats it. We send the uncrustable P&J sandwiches and frozen yogert. I dont want to keep just sending those types of things. Any ideas ?

MatthewsMom04

Asked by MatthewsMom04 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So far since kindergarten started my DD is sending her son with having the school lunches. I guess I'd send their favorites. I bought a cute Cars back pack. and it has an insulated part for lunch! Good luck.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am sort of limited. My son has a boy with a top rated peanut allergie. so I have sent ham sandwichs, pretzels, fruit cup, and a muffin.
    ( he has only had 2 days of school so far)
    We have a thermos for him and an insulated lunch box. I also place a cold pack in the bottom with the thermos.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 10:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Our school is a non-meat campus, making cold cuts out of the question, which is fine with me. We were sending peanut butter and chocolate sandwiches but have stopped since one of his classmates has a severe peanut allergy. We send yogurts, soy chicken nuggets, cheese sandwiches, and cheese sticks. I am hoping he will warm up to hummus as another sandwich option. He has a thermal lunch box.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• buy an insolated thermal bowl, they are great for sending pastas, m&c, soup, pizza pockets,chicken nuggets and other easy to eat hot foods. You heat the foods in the morning till they are scalding then put them in the bowl. By lunch they are just warm enough to eat. (i do this for my self to so i can avoid the crowded work lunchrooms/ eat at my desk) ****if doing pockets or nuggets put a wet paper towel in the top of the bowl, it stops them from getting chewy.

For cold lunches my son likes applesauce, lunch meat rolls, fresh fruit, raw veggie *chips*, cold pancakes sandwhiches with yogurt/ fruit spread in the middle, or cereal bars. I keep them cold with an ice pack wraps in a thin dish towl, the towl keeps everything from getting damp with condensation and if you fold it so one side if thicker you can have one side of a lunch box cold and one hot.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I WOULD SEND A LUNCHABLE
    angeldeb2010

Answer by angeldeb2010 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• peanut butter and jell sandwhiches, turkey sandwhiches, tunafish sandwhiches...pretzels, crackers, chips, cheese itz...banana, apple, strawberries, grapes.....juice box/bag, sports bottle of water

Those are things I send wth my son...I dont do any candy or sweets because they offer way to much of that at school...There is always cupcakes etc for birthdays...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have my son pack a thermos...I just pour hot water into it to heat it up and then heat up leftovers or canned pasta, toss out the water add hot food and he says it's still pretty warm at lunch.
    I also do a container of fresh cut up fruit with a gogurt .
    Jelly sandwiches on his picky days, Lunchables are really high in sodium and nitrates so I skip those
    I never pack a treat because he will just eat that and skip the other food. If there is no treat he will eat his lunch.
    I also have a Toy story metal drink container that keeps his drinks cold and save money on juice boxes
    Some kids like tuna pasta salad and if he liked that I would send it...but i thought I would throw that in there as an idea.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I always think about what I would have wanted to share when I was in school. So be creative. Pudding cups, sliced apples (a little lemon juice will keep them brown free!), you can also try cutting up fruit and putting it in yogurt. Apples in strawberry yogurt is really good! A sweet snack every once in a while...it's all about being creative with the foods they like.
    CharleesMom7

Answer by CharleesMom7 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• go gurt can be frozen and will thaw by lunch time. I freeze my sons juice boxes water bottles etc etc they keep everything cold until lunch time. I put all cold things together so they help to keep each other cold.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Turkey roll ups, pitas with hummus, cheese and crackers, fruit, veggie sticks and ranch dip, pasta salads, there are so many things you can pack and if they need to stay cool, use a freezer pack.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010