How often should my child drink juice?

momma638

Asked by momma638 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Not often, at least in my opinion. Most juices just add unnecessary sugars/empty calories to anyones diet. It really should be a once in a while treat.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How old are they(your children)? Juice isnt as great as people think. There is a lot of sugar in it. Even when you buy the "good stuff". I buy the ones with less sugar and only 100 % juice...and I limit it to one cup a day..
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We didn't do any juice until 3 years old...it just isn't necessary. But you are the mommy.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't allow it too often, as juices have a lot of acids. If your child is still in diapers, this could cause serious rash on their little bottom.
    gatormom0407

Answer by gatormom0407 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree with pp...i only buy the v8 vfusion juice and she only gets 1 glass of that maybe every other day, she prefers her water, but love's her juice when i do give it to her!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is 16 months and he get very constipated. one of our friends said it was bad for him. But this friend does not have kids.
    momma638

Comment by momma638 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't even bother buying juice. It's just unnecessary.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My kids rarely get juice. Usually only when the only other option is soda. If we do give juice it is diluted 50/50 with water. Our pediatrician told us early on that juice is basically just sugar water and is not healthy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If he gets enough water and veggies and real fruit and whole grains, he needs NO juice and will not stay constipated. Also, cut back on milk if he is having that too. He only needs 16oz max of any dairy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We don't drink juice. Did read this from Dr. Mercola's website recently:

New Concern in Your Food: Wood Alcohol (Methanol) Fresh fruits and vegetables contain small amounts of naturally-occurring methanol, and the artificial sweetener aspartame converts into methanol in your body. Normally this is not a problem as the methanol is typically bound to pectin, and since your body has no enzyme to metabolize that bond it is simply excreted in your stool and none of the methanol is absorbed into your body. However, the problem occurs when you can or bottle fruit- or vegetable juice, as the methanol tends to then dissociate from the pectin into free methanol, which you do absorb. The methanol you absorb readily passes the blood brain barrier where it can be converted to form formaldehyde, which is a potent toxin that actually causes most of the damage.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010