Do you have a home business that is NOT working?

I am looking to start a home business but I'm afraid to get in with a business that isn't going to work... So I would like to know what are you invoved with and why are you not making any money? To many brokers? Product to expencive? You don't have enough time? I know that all businesses have people that don't work out but I figure if I get a large amount of people with the same company I will know to stear clear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• I never had a home business with a company. All my ideas were from scratch. My problem was, when I thought I had a great idea (including my friends cheering me on), the idea only looked good on paper. But understanding the consumer (niche market) was not clear enough. Broad market was a bit too expensive for me to start with. Fortunately I had a "day job", but the dedication was lost to a "learning experience". Now I am using another strategy. I am working under the shadow of a partnership as an LLC (limited liability). The partnership wanted to expand in the area that I could provide. They gave me space to get started. This is how I got started in my business in media.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think the most important thing when choosing a home business is to find something that you are passionate about and that you love! You can't expect anyone else to love what you have to offer if you don't love it yourself:) Another thing to keep in mind right now is the economy. Are people going to be buying things that are not a necessity? Not so much, so if you could find a home business that offers something that people NEED instead of something that they just want, it will work out better too! I was fortunate to find a home business that I am passionate about and love AND that people need...Ameriplan!! Good luck to you:)
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• A topic of much interest to me- I agree, finding a social need is most important. If you can, make the product your own, by adding your talent. It's hard enough to sell to a population that is already saturated with products of the same of your business. This is not included in a feasibility analysis, but should be.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I am not sure. I heard Amway wasn't to good. So far I have 2 businesses that I work from home and I love them both. Sassyhetel is right. You need to find something you are passionate about and make sure you don't invest a lot until you decide it's working for you. You will have to do some kind of an investment, but I would choose something under $100.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 2:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• In every home business venture, you will ALWAYS find at least one person that tried it and it didn't work for them. Many home business failures are from those that are not working their business. Business plans work, if you do. Also business fails because of the lack of money management too. In my opinion, if you are being paid anything less than 50% on a product, it is not worth your time. Finding a product that is consumable is smart business. If you will have good customer service, you will make money over and over again from reorders.
    AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 3:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• continued...Finding an industry that is recession proof is a MUST especially right now. The only industries that are: alcohol, tobacco and personal hygiene products (skin care and cosmetics). Finding a home business that has a safety net is a must too. One that has a buy-back guarantee, so you can start your business off right, but if you decide it is NOT for you, you will not lose your shirt over it. Find something that you love and it will be more fun than a job. Just commit to NOT quit, and you will not fail. If you would like to know what I do, feel free to PM me. Good luck in your new adventure. When you work for yourself the highs are higher and the lows are lower, but it is GREAT to have freedom!
    AmyMK

• I don't think many people are going to come forth and tell you about their failure in their business. Many people will tell you they did not make money or it was too hard, they will simply give you all the reason why it did not work for them. If you ask me, they are all excuses.....to be succesful in any business, you do have to work at it, sitting around is just not going to earn you money. I am speaking about MLM businesses, which is what is making the money these days, it is called NETWORKING, not notworking. :))) If you are going to consider a home business.................continued next post..................................
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Consider a home based business, and if you want to make money right away, you need to be in one that is in the 2 largest emerging industries...wellness and network marketing. With this economy, no one is spending their money on makeup, tupperware or candles...people these days are into their health and want to earn extra income and fast. The business I am in has been in biz for 3.5 years and has been featured in SUCCESS FROM HOME magazine 3 times in the ENTIRE issues...this is the first co. to reach its first billion dollars in just 3 years...first in the history of the US. it took microsoft 7 years. This is still a ground floor opportunity as less than 1% of the US has heard of it.. a great opportunity is one when not too many people know about it. I would love to share what i do from home around my kids schedules and make really GREAT money. I hope to hear from you soon.

BusinessMom123

• hi, i work for an online catalog company that actually sells products people use every day. all i do is ask people to change where they shop and then set up their account. i didn't have any investment, i don't stock inventory, i don't have to take orders or deliver anything. yes, i know, sounds too good to be true. they have been around for more than 20 years, with tremendous sales growth every year. oh, yeah, and they will TELL you what their reps make...no "i am working toward my goal" stuff. i am always looking for teammates to work with. feel free to contact me if you want more info.
    NoJoAbMom

Answer by NoJoAbMom at 12:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Home based businesses have to do with finding your passion, and willingness to grow personally. I am telling everyone what I am involved in, a recession proof business because we all use phones- whether land line, cell phone or voip technology. I just could not pass up an opp. to work from home with the WORLD headquarters 3 miles from my home. I am not goal orientated by any means, but as I mentioned earlier, home based businesses are personal developments programs with a compensation plan attached. You just have to find the right vehicle to drive. And don't worry if the first one doesn't work for you. You learn something and move on.
    Lynn
    www.YourLife4u.acnrep.com Why I am not participating in the recession!!!
    phonemomma

Answer by phonemomma at 8:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2008