thumb sucking

my baby is 13 1/2 months and she loves her thumb. i would like her to stop but am not sure how..anyone else have this problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

•  

my daughter sucked her index finger.  I didn't even worry about it at that age.  She only did it when tired or sick.  When she got older I would just remind her about her finger.  She eventually stoped

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am a strong believer in letting them stop when they are ready. My fist only sucked her thumb for 6 months. My youngest just stopped earlier this year. Just right after her 3rd birthday. I have watched two of my SIL try so hard to get there kids to stop. One is still working on it ans eh is 7yr. What I see is when they tell or pull her thumb out. She wants to do it more. It took my other SIL 2 yrs but still complains her daughter does it in her room at night. I know my 3 yr old will if she is is overwhelmed in public. She does not like big crowds. I just leave her. It is what makes her comfortable and able to handle the situation.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would not worry about it, your baby is still little and probably finds it to be a comfort thing. My 2nd was a thumb sucker, and he did out grow it by age 4. By that time he would only do it if he was tired.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The dentist told me that the best time to get a child to stop sucking their thumb is between 3-5. My daughter is 4 and she still sucks it at night or when she is tired or if she has her blanket. Sometimes she wants to stop and other times she can't imagine not sucking it. It is hard for her and I wish I would have encouraged her to stop when she was younger. She even wanted to buy the liquid that tastes bad but then when we went to put it on her she freeked out and wouldn't let us. It is ultmately up to her to quit, this isn't something we can force her to do. It is a hard habit to stop so I wish you luck.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 11:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I sucked mine until I was 12.... it's crazy tho because I'm the one in my family with "perfect" teeth.... my mom used to put stuff on my thumb that tasted like crap but I would suck it off lol....It's a really hard habit to break since yo can't hide it.... I would just try some other soothing measures... GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010