Have you had a natural birth and one with drugs?

Which was better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My first baby I had IV drug stadol, and a local demerol for a vaginal birth. It was the first I did not know what to expect, it was a good experience. My second baby was a natural vaginal birth. I bounced back alot quicker, IDK if it was because it was my second or no drugs, I felt great. My third was an unplanned c-section, with a spinal. I am not a good candidate for epidural. I felt like crap for at least a week. If I have another baby, I will try to go natural all the way!!
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I've only had a natural birth. It was amazing. I had a beautiful water birth at a freestanding birth center with a midwife.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think it depends on your pain tolerance...I asked for drugs with both births and do not regret it. Some say its best for the baby not to but, I say go with what is bestfor you! good luck sweetie and congratulations!

srob08

Answer by srob08 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had epidurals with all three of my births, but for the last one only my left leg got numb. It was by far my easiest!! I wish I would have gone natural every time!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I've had natural births 2 times, IV drugs once, and Epidural once with my babies. I HATED the drugs. I felt all loopy and out of control of myself. I had planned on going natural (baby #2), but labor was exhausting and I asked for them. Looking back, I wish I would've "toughed" it out.
    But, with my last baby(#4), I decided that I would try the epidural. I thought - "now or never"..LOL! I have to say that it was amazing! I had heard so many bad stories that I was against it for so long. But, it was the best thing I had ever done.
    Natural is hard, really hard, but there is a great feeling of having control over your body that is hard to explain. I figured that women had done it that was for centuries, so I could too!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I can't really give you a good answer to that. My first son was induced so I went straight to active labor (my labor was only 4 hours). I wanted to do a natural birth but I wasn't prepared for the onslaught of pain so I chose an epidural in a light dosage. I did have slight pain but it wasn't bad and I was able to feel everything so I was still in control.

Now, my second son was just well...horrible. My uterus is all weird so he developed and grew very low in my pelvis the entire pregnancy. So much so that he ended up stretching and tearing some pelvic muscles. The pain of contractions and pushing with torn muscles is indescribable, and he was back labor. I also had group B strep so instead of getting an epidural I had to get penicillin instead so it was natural birth but to such extremes.

lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 11:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had an epidural with my DD, but this time we're going all natural. I hated the drugs, once I was clear headed enough to have any emotion at all. You would have thought it was some one else's baby, not mine.
    Actually, if the nurses had checked me before they gave me the epidural there is no way I would have been given it, I wish they would have! It was the worst decision I've ever made, but I guess we learn from our mistakes.
    Oh, and don't have a bunch of family in the room while you're in labour - that's half the reason I caved in, it was horrible! Next time it will be just me, hubby and doula!
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 11:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I wish I could help you but I had an emergency cesarean and was completely put to sleep for it. I wish things could have been different because I never actually got to see my daughter being born.... even if it was by c-section. I woke up 4 hours later asking where my baby was! Hopefully our next one will be different! I went through 16 hours of labor and didn't have any pain meds. Then things got complicated. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    l.bicks

Answer by l.bicks at 12:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Baby 1 - epidoral
    Baby 2 - epidoral, I had an allergic reaction to it & they reversed it- so ultimately naturally.

Both deliveries where fine- My first delivery was easier, only because of the position he exited in- lol. My second was a little more painful- she had her shoulder stuck on the way out, but even without epidoral, I was ok.

I'm expecting #3- am planning on having another epidoral- but this time without the narcotic I'm allergic too.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 12:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had a natural birth and i am so glad that i did, it was the most incredible moment , because you can feel everything, i mean after i pushed my son out i just felt like i could do anything and that i was super woman. But that was my personal choice, I wanted a natural birth as soon as i found out i was prego. But i always had an open mind just in case i couldnt handle the pain. :) GOOD LUCK
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2008