hand express milk? adult content

I was renting a breastpump and I couldn't afford it anymore. Thankfully I had frozen quite a bit of milk. I have been using it in my sons cereal. Recently I ran out of my frozen stock. I don't have any spare money to buy a good pump. Someone passed along to me a very old cheap pump, which stopped working almost immediatly. I tried a hand pump this morning, and it fell apart with every squeeze. I'm wonderig if there is a somewhat productive way to hand express milk.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure if you were really diligent you could get SOME milk out by hand-expressing it, but I would imagine it would be rather exhausting.

arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 10:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It can be tiring...I do it by hand simple because I havent gotten around to getting a pump...Plus the only reason I need a pump is becaues i have a large milk supply and my son only eats on one side at eat feeding and I get engorged after just 3 hours but I just "drown" him if I try to give him my full side. So I express by hand before I feed him. I get at least 2 1/2 ounces out of each breast(when im full) by hand..and i freeze it.

There isnt really a "better way". You have to try different things and see what works best for you! Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If you are able to apply for WIC they offer a free pump. Also some health insurance cover certain breastfeeding supplies. 

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wish we qualified for WIC, but my husband "makes too much money." Unfortunatly, they don't take our bills into consideration.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I hand express milk, i can generally get about 1-2 oz for 10 minutes of work. my method is to use the hand that is on the same side as the boob im expressing from (ie, use left hand to milk your left boob). Start out by getting a nice cup of Hot tea (i drink the natural mothers milk, or peppermint so that it helps my baby's tummy with digestion) ANd get a HOT wash rag. apply the washrag to the boob you're going to milk for about a minute, then start with your thumb above the nibble and the fingers all together below the boobm right over the aereola. then, o back about 2 inches and squeeze gently forward. repeat until you're finished. also, try expressing the milk while you are in the hot shower or in the bathtub (but aim the showerhead so that water doesnt get in the bottle.)
    hope this helps!
    cecil119

Answer by cecil119 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Google the Marmet Technique. I've heard very good things about it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Here is a good short video on hand expression

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• maggiemom2000

• if you havegood credit, get the babies r us credit card. thatshow i was able to get my medela
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The Marmet technique works. When you have an extra $40 you can pick up an Avent Isis if you want; great for light pumping duty. But let me throw this thought at you... if you're only doing it for the cereal, you can either mix the cereal with water... or dump the cereal. It's expensive and not needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010