how can i start breastfeeding again after stopping

ok my baby was born Sept 3rd. i breastfed her the first 5 days then stopped i was still in alot of pain from my c-section, my nipples were cracked and bleeding, my breast had gotten so full they hurt and i was having painful contraction sometimes when i fed her so i just stopped and started giving her formula. now my breast feel the way they did before i gave birth not full at all. i have been feeling really guilty for stopping and also it just hit me i got my tubes tied and i will never be able to do this again that this was my last chance. my baby doesn't even like the bottle i have to fight her to eat she loved breastfeeding so now i feel bad and i wanna try again but how do i do that? i don't have the money to buy or rent a pump and i also have a 3 year old and a 2year old i googled some things and they said to take her to the breast every hour or so but how do i do this with my other children needing my attention. help

nates_wifey623

Asked by nates_wifey623 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you hadn't stopped, you would still need to put her to the breast everytime. Try having the other kids read a book to you while feeding her, or coloring or watch a DVD. At least until you establish a good supply again. The more she nurses directly, the fast your milk will come back. And breast feeling doesn't always indicate how much you are making, neither does how much you express. Just keep feeding her as much as she will take it. Since it was just Sept. 3...you ought to be able to get it back quickly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well really the only way is to put her to breast and figure out how to deal with the other kids. It is difficult, but it can be done. I would recommend getting a supplemental nursing system and giving her formula through that since you likely don't have much milk left, but the action of sucking will up that milk quickly. Also try taking fenugreek and other things to increase milk supply. I used to read a book with my older child every time I nursed his sister and when she fell asleep then I would sit and play with him. Check out relactating on www.kellymom.com. A great resource for all things breastfeeding related.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I will PM you the information I have on relactation because it is too big to fit into the answer section. Relactation takes time and persistence. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• As long as you're producing milk (and you still are), you'll be able to start breastfeeding again. Just be patient. It will take a while for both you and baby to get the hang of it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When my son was born I almost quit b/c I felt it was taking too much time away from my 3 y/o. It does take a lot of time and I felt like he was eating ALL the time. I kept with it but it was hard. My daughter was very good about it and we made it through. So it may be you need to feed her more often to get it back but it will still feel like you are feeding her all the time even when you get your milk back. It is better for the baby not to mention loads cheaper than formula so I wish you the best of luck with starting again. Also you should have a lacatation consultant in your area that can help. You can ask your pedetritian for the number if you can't find it. I used a lacation consultant we have for our county and it was free for me.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 11:36 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• try 'Mother's Milk" herbal tea. you can buy it at most natural food/health food stores, or online.
    cecil119

Answer by cecil119 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Really, just put the baby to breast. It hasn't been that long, your supply SHOULD pick right back up. Just nurse on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010