What is it like to travel by plane with little ones?

Was it difficult? Was it easier than you thought it would be? How did you keep them occupied the whole time?

I was thinking of one day visiting a friend in Hawaii and I want to take my kids so that's why I'm wondering.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 10:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Travel

• Not sure what you mean by "little ones", But we traveled with our 2 when they 5 and 3 and I just took stuff to keep them busy on the plane. As we were leaving the plane, we had several people tell us that they didn't even realize that the boys were on the plane because they were so quiet.
    gatormom0407

Answer by gatormom0407 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I flew with my daughter, then 3, from Pittsburgh to San Jose...totaling 5-1/2 hours in the air. I brought anything and everything I could think of to keep her happy and content and quiet throughout the flights. It really wasn't that bad...but I was so paranoid she was bugging the other passengers that I hardly let her speak above a whisper.

One bad thing that did happen was this: She was just recently fully daytime potty trained but yet I knew she'd be scared of the plane bathrooms so I put her in a Pull-Up for just in case. She had to poo and did not want to go in her Pull-Up so I took her to the bathroom and she screamed bloody murder so I took her back to our seats and told her she had to poo in her Pull-Up and then we'd go to the bathroom and change her. She didn't want to do that and kept crying and yelling "I GOTTA POOP!!" at the top of her lungs. Only lasted for a minute or two, but it felt like HOURS.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh man Keeley that must've been a good time for you. lol I worry about that too. I worry that my three year old won't like the bathrooms.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It really depends on the kid. My oldest was a holy terror until he was 5 or 6. He didn't like the pressure in his ears or being in such a small place or HAVING to stay in his seat. It was not fun.

My middle child would fly anywhere, any time. She called birds airplanes, instead of airplanes birds. She was an angel. Loved flying, still does. The bathrooms never bothered her; even the time when she was freshly potty trained. The only issue is that she tends to barf on descent.

My youngest loves to fly as well.

I actually fly from Tel Aviv to Denver with them when they were 17 months, 6 & 8. It was tiring, but not the nightmare I was expecting. The baby spent a lot of time jumping on my lap and flirting with whoever would pay him any attention. And the other kids were fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i went all the way to ireland when my daughter was just a yr old. it's best to book your airplane time during the time that they will be sleeping. so that they can sleep on the plane. a lady even said she had no idea there was a baby on the plane. say like you get at the airport around 8-9 pm maybe later depending on the number of hrs it is to fly from where you live. this is what worked for us for a 9 hr flight time.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We did a long haul from Florida to Australia via New Zealand, 3 flights, 5hrs, then 12 hr lay over in LA, then 13 hr flight, then 3 hr flight.......our daughter was 2 and honestly if there was such a thing as perfect she was it!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it, I was expecting a nightmare, she is extremely active.......we were sooo lucky she slept most of the way and when she was awake she was content just to sit there and play, I just could not believe it, it was a blessing!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2010