Does Your Toddler Have "Chores?"

I make my son pick up his toys when he's done playing them and wants to watch TV. I help, but I make him get started. And since he's gone back to pull-ups, I make him throw them away when he goes in one. If we have an activity planned for the weekend his room has to be in good shape. The bed doesn't have to be made-I don't even make our bed on the weekends-but his toys have to be matched up in the right bins or baskets. They all have pictures. The car bin has his car picture, the stuffed animals baskets has a picture of A for Animals, stuff like that. My grandmother says I'm a drill sergeant and not letting him be a kid but I don't think its ever too early to enforce responsibilities and taking care of your things!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 10:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has to pick up all of her toys and put them in the right place in her room. She even puts her own trash in the trash can (dirty diapers, napkins, paper plates, etc). Sometimes she will even put her own dirty dishes in the sink if it's not breakable.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Good mom. I am not that good. :(
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I make my 2yr old pick up her toys every once and awhile but nothing like that. Its good to teach responsibility though, I'm just not THAT strick, I want them to be able to live a little.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• mine picks up when we are my mom's. she loves it though because at daycare i think they have the kids participate. she is only 18month old. but she doesn't need chores at 18months. i don't know about when she is older. probably more like cleaning her room and such. but never too early.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, as soon as they can walk and carry things I expect my kids to help pick up after themselves and get their dirty laundry into the hamper.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:00 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it gives him a snese of order and its something he'll always do easily. my mother still goes ot my brothers house once a year to clean, unless he has a cleaning girlfriend living with him...notice i said GOES TO HIS HOUSE so ur child is just learning early that to have fun. things have to be done.
    Sins8shun

Answer by Sins8shun at 11:05 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I try to get my girls to help pickup but some times find it easier to do it my self after they have gone to bed. It never hurts to learn about cleaning up though.

martat

Answer by martat at 11:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• sins8shun...i would never go to my son's house to clean. your mother must be a saint lol. i would help out from time to time...but once he's out...he's out. that's his place. and his responsibility.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Wow, I'm inspired! Is he able to ID which basket gets which toys?
    Our son, who just turned 2, picks up his toys (though we're not good about doing it every day). He takes stuff to the trash can for us (he LOVES that!) and puts his snack bowl/cup in the sink when he's done (checks with me first). When I fold laundry, I put the basket next to him, and he hands me a piece of laundry to fold (gets impatient when he's ready before I am), and sometimes when I'm cooking dinner, I push a chair up to the counter and let him "help" with dinner (making sure to keep anything dangerous away and keeping a close eye on him so he doesn't fall, etc). He loves to help right now, so I am trying to soak it up while it's still fun for him (and keep it fun!).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is so independent. He has to try things first and if he can't get it he says "Mommie Help". He is always helping without me asking. I sometimes have problems with him picking up his toys but if I "help" by picking one up first then he's good. Then he gets mad if I try any more. He throws all his trash away and will put his stuff in the sink. He always has to help when I clean glass. I think I'm going to let him vacuum next. He's been begging me to do that. We have a smaller vacuum that I think will work. It's awesome when they are so independent.
    Kelly G.

Answer by Kelly G. at 12:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2010