Am I "not allowing my son to have a child hood?"

My MIL seems to think that the fact that i have a daily scedule, chore list, and that my son has learning time is "not allowing him to be a kid".
His M-F scedule is like this
7:15 wake up, get dressed, make bed, and come down for breakfast, once he is done eating he does 1 of th following (which takes maybe 10 minutes) write his name 5 times, write 1-10, or do a work book page on color or shapes. (hes 4 soon to be 5), then he has free time until 8:15 when we brush teeth, get on shoes and leave. He usually plays with his v-smile, watches diego, or plays with his trucks.
He has pre-k from 845-1115 and the baby sitter picks him up. The scedule there for 2-4 yr olds is quiet play, lunch, nap, snack, free play, learning activity, free play till pick up.
When he gets home he had another work book page then dinner, then chore time (he wipes the kitchen table/chairs and coffee table off with vinegar water) see first post

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• He get's pleanty of free time on the weekend and I think at his age that is pleanty. You are setting him up for the structure of school and great study/work habits for his future. Everyone needs down time and IMO that is what the weekends are for and it seems he is getting just the right ammount.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Seems a little rigid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If your schedule is working for your child then everyone else needs to "But Out". Setting up structure before school starts is a big helper. Once they start school everything changes and continues to change. MIL needs to offer advice ONLY WHEN ITS ASKED FOR.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think that's a good schedule. He's still being a kid, but with rules. I see no harm in that. i learned the hard way. Keep up with what you're doing! i think it's great!
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• OMG! Wow when I started reading this I though for sure this was like an 8 or 9 yr old..BUT 4!!! Wow, my 5 year old is just now learning to make her bed, she goes to Kindergarten 1/2 days only gets HW on Monday nights, and we have just started talking about a rewards chart for doing thing like setting the table, and picking up her toys and such.
    Im really sorry to say but I kinda agree with your MIL IMO
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Not rigid at all.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If it works for you guys then its good. some kids need more structure than others and its a very good thing that you are having learning time! A lot of parents dont teach their children and then wonder why they dont know as much as other children.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm not one for schedules, but if it works for you and he seems happy with it I don't see what the problem is. I'm homeschooling and started my son in kindergarten at 4, so I certainly don't see anything wrong with the school work, as long as he enjoys it and it isn't a fight. I just wasn't scheduled about it, we did school some days and didn't do it other days. And I've always heard it's good to start them doing chores at a young age. I should be better about that.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• U r doing a good job. Don't let her bother u.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Personally I am a lot more flexible because I have to be, but if it works for you and your child is not protesting to any of it then so be it. My kids do have chores from about the ago of 3 on.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010