About to lose patience

My son and I live with my grandparents. He's very spoiled by my grandpa and every time i tell him no or discipline him he goes running to "tell on me". it frustrates me.My grandma tells him to stay out of it but he doesn't. I hate getting mad at my grandpa but it really is his fault my kid is the way he is. Any suggestions on how to handle both of them?

jolee0222

Asked by jolee0222 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is your son? Depending on age, there can be a consequence for running to grandpa. Inform grandpa - hey, if he runs to you and you baby him, he will get additional consequences. So, why don't you just remind him that mom is mom, and that's life? That way your grandpa is responsible for him being in MORE trouble. I'm not sure if this is practical, but it's a thought.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think you need to have a very direct conversation with your grandfather and explain to him that he is undermining your efforts to discipline your son and that it's making things very difficult for you. You need to tell him in no uncertain terms that you are the decision-maker when it comes to your son and that he needs to stop. I obviously don't know anything about your financial situation, but if it's possible, it might be beneficial for the two of you to try and find a place on your own.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 10:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Just stand your ground with him and grandparents. YOU ARE THE PARENT! you need to just pray about the whole situation.
    jennymax

Answer by jennymax at 11:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well i'm waiting for my SO to move back and i should be out in about a month. It's just hard because everytime i do discipline my grandpa babies him. i have gotten into so many fights and arguements with my grandfather over this but he just doesn't get it. I told him he can't be doing that, that he's making my son misbehave more, but he still does it.
    jolee0222

Comment by jolee0222 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You might want to say "I know you love Sonny very much, and you mean well, BUT I am his mom and it is my job to set rules and enforce them. I would appreciate it if you would back me up and not undermine me when I discipline him. I don't want my child to turn into a soiled brat".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Granparents love to spoil the kids, however you need to sit down with him and tell him that he needs to back your parenting that doing otherwise causes confusion for the child.
    cbearsgirl

Answer by cbearsgirl at 3:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't live with my gma but I swear she did that and it PISSED ME OFF something terrible... She would undermind everything I say and so I finally I snapped. I told her AND my daughter that I am running the show and I have the final say so and if they don't like it too bad... End of story... Now she asks permission before putting her opinion out there...
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i like your idea!!! i'm gonna try it!!
    jolee0222

Comment by jolee0222 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010