Was it rude?

I had a lady come over yesterday to pick up 18 month girls clothes (she found me on craigslist) When she came I made a comment about me son being 18 months as well. She said "they are actually for my grand daughter." So then I said "Oh sorry, black people age so well its hard to tell." I meant it as a compliment. She looked like she was only in her late 20's early 30s...young enough to have an 18 month old. She kinda chuckled but I couldnt really read if it was inappropriate or not. :-/ My big mouth.

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 10:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I am a black female and I would have taken that as a compliment!
    nehi81

Answer by nehi81 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• As true as it is, I still would say it's pretty rude. You could have just said "wow, you don't look it" not made it about her race. I'm black and if I was her I would not have said anything either. But to friends and maybe even on here, I would have definatly said something.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Not rude and actually, freakin' true most of the time. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think it was rude. You could have said she looked good for her age, race had nothing to do with it.
    BlueEyedBrunett

Answer by BlueEyedBrunett at 10:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Maybe she was the age you thought she was. Teen mom has a kid who becomes a teen mom/dad. You ran the risk of being rude to black people and teen moms. OOPS!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i don't think it's rude. asian people are the same way. i worked at a chinese restaurant for 5 1/2 years and thought my boss' oldest daughter was around my age (which was 21 at the time) turned out she was like 35!
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• hahahahaha!! i would've taken it as a compliment..but i'm not AA.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You could've made a comment on her age without race being involved. Definitely inappropriate!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh wow. That was extremely rude. I'm not black or easily offended and my jaw dropped when I read that. Think before you speak next time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:58 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think bringing her race up was rude. I would have just commented on how she looked too young to have a grand daughter or something along those lines.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2010