Switching from bottle to cup

How did you get your child to switch from a bottle to a cup? I have tried those "transition sippy cups" that are suppose to seem like a bottle, but he hates it, and ive tried pretty much everything. I don't want him to be drinking from a bottle his whole life, haha, what should i do?

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 11:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never really had this problem, probably because I didn't give my LO much choice. If she wanted a drink, she was going to take it from a sippy, and she caught on pretty quickly. Kids aren't idiots, if you stick to your guns, they'll follow before they starve or dehydrate themselves.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 12:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• my son is 11 months old, and i only let him use a sippy cup durring the day. at nap time and bed time he has a bottle of formula- but other than that he uses a sippy cup. when i was first helping him learn how to use the sippy cup i would put diuted juice into an available bottle and full strenght juice into his sippy cup. it didn't take him long to learn how to sip the juice from the sippy cup because the unwatery juice was more appealing to him.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I put sippy cups full of water in with my twins toys when they were about 8 or 9 mos. old. When they turned a year we transitioned to milk and as soon as they were on all milk, I only gave them sippy cups.
    You could try doing it one feeding at a time, starting with breakfast and saving dinner or that pre-bed bottle for last.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I didn't give my boys a choice. Either they drank from a sippy cup (a regular one or one with a straw) or they went thirsty. My oldest held out for most of a day but than finally realized I wasn't giving in. It's a control issue so stick to your guns.

My boys were always very stubborn so for me I couldn't do a smooth transition, I had to go completely cold turkey. It worked quickly! =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i never had a problem with mine,but other family and friends just took them away,or one told their kid that they needed to go to a baby who didnt have any and really needed it.and that worked.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 9:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had the WORST time trying to get my daughter to drink from ANY kind of sippy cup (transition ones included). I have like 10 different kinds of sippies, all of which she wants nothing to do with. BUT that's because she skipped that stage (without informing me lol) and went straight to the straw. My mother-in-law brought out a "juicy juice" juice box one night and my daughter drank it like a pro (me holding it though cause she'd spray herself otherwise). I now pour her juice boxes into a cup with a straw, the simpler the better! Try it out!
    bunnynickell

Answer by bunnynickell at 11:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Try the Nuby ones with the soft nipples. After he gets used to those slowing give him hard nipples.
    Naturleigh8

Answer by Naturleigh8 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• we use the nuby straw ones.. now when we go out don't have a cup can go anywhere with straws. We never had a problem. one day the dog ate the bottles saiid that is it. NOW can't seem to keep sippy cups. lol
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008