HOW CAN YOU DEAL WITH BEING HANDICAP

I AM HANDICAP WITH GRANDKIDS AGES 7 TO 1 MONTH AND THEY DONT UNDERSTAN WHY I CANT GET IN THE FLOOR A PLAY HOW DO I TELL THEM?

angeldeb2010

Asked by angeldeb2010 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a deaf child and it is hard to get children to understand why he doesn't respond to them. All I can tell you is just rely on God for the answer!
    jennymax

Answer by jennymax at 10:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Just tell them that you're health prevents you from playing down there with them.. But they can sit up on the couch with you and play.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:55 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My dad has been in a wheelchair since I was 2, and no one ever really had to explain to me or my kids that he couldn't do certain things. My sister and I, and now our kids, got/get in his lap and to draw or read. Just because you're handicapped doesn't mean you can't be involved in some way. If the kids grow up with it they will just accept it. You just have to find different ways to connect with them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:01 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Tell them simply. Kids understand SIMPLE. Tell them your bobo prevents you from doing what they would like.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I also wanted to add that we don't love our dad any less because he couldn't play in the floor with us when we were little. If anything, we all feel a little more protective of him.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:08 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My mom isn't in the literal sense handicapped, but she is disabled and can't do specific things with her grand kids. She has one that understands and one that doesn't. The older one (my 4 yo niece) doesn't care that grandma hurts and wants what she wants, and my 2 yo understands that she needs to sit on the couch to play with grandma. The difference here is that my sister and I have approached the situation differently with our children.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Go to your local library to find books on the subject.  You might want to give them a call and see if you can reserve them or through their library website.  GL

Children's Books About
    Handicaps and Disabilities

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• put it in terms they understand like my legs don't work, my knees don't work, I can't see etc etc. I would think by 3 or 4 they would "get it"
    My son got is when he was 3 his cousin couldn't walk with out a walker and sometimes used a wheel chair he got , understood it and helped her as much as he could
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think just being honest on their level is best. Tell them there are certain limits you have, and see how you can all come up wiht ways to play together, like doing puzzles at the table, or coloring or reading.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My MIL is handicapped and SHE feels terrible that she can't get up and run around with my kids, but my kids LOVE her so much that they don't even notice. She does so many other fun things with them. She does crafts and teaches them games that I don't have the patience for. She snuggles them (even my 7 year old) and watches THEIR tv shows with them. You may have physical limits on what you can do, but you still have a lot to offer. Just concentrate on the things you can do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010