How can you think this will work?

Obama's health plan says he will reduce your premiums by 2500 and have all preexisting conditions covered, and you can't be denied due to health conditions. First of all, that makes me laugh out loud. I work for the largest insurer in the country as a medical underwriter. I know how things work. So you think that if we are forced to insure people with cancer, AIDS, RA, serious psychiatric conditions requiring multiple hospitalizations that your healthcare premium will go down? And he said he will keep the premiums low. First off, if we did that, lowered premiums and insured everyone the insurance company would go bankrupt. I see claims info daily. Have you ever seen the dollar amount of what we payout for 1 person with cancer? Transplants? Let me tell you it's in the hundreds of thousands, sometimes more. con't....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You think an ins. company can stay in business if we insure everyone with those conditions, or keep premiums low?? Lower them that what they are at now? Common sense people. I know I have an inside look and knowledge of these things, but seriously. Do a little thinking.
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU ::BIG APPLAUSE::
    I appreciate your post! Again, it comes back to simple economics. It doesn't ADD UP... :)
    You, my Anon friend, get a GOLD STAR pour moi! ;) ::wink::
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well put!!!! I am also concerned about his health care plan because he basically says that if you do not like your company's health plan then you can get the government one. Well, where is the incentive for company's to keep carrying health insurance at all? Its expensive for them, and if the government will just do it for free, why should they bother?
    Anonymous

• No he'll just spread the wealth around and take from the American Taxpayers who are making more than what he deems their fair share. Remember he can do anything he says because he is OBAMA the GREAT.
    Anonymous

• I agree 100%. Pre-existing clauses protect us from people who get insurance AFTER they find out they need expensive treatment. The biggest problem with health care is inefficiency (and the Federal plans are the WORST). If companies stopped making it so difficult for doctors (and patients) to get paid -- and treatment authorized -- they could save a ton of money. Which, in theory, would reduce premiums. In reality, it probably would just increase the CEOs paycheck.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree 100% with the poster...my husband is in the insurance industry as well as worked years ago as a medical underwriter as well :)....Obama's plan WILL NEVER work.....it is common sense....I believe his underlying goal is to sell the American people on his plan of offering the cut in premiums, etc. because he knows it will fail which will then lead to the country having no other options but to go with a universal health plan!
    THINK BEFORE YOU VOTE '08!
    Anonymous

• I think the only people being harmed by the high cost of insurance and not being able to get it are the honest people. Dishonest people and those with a sense of entitlement just trot into the emergency room of the nearest hospital and get everything from a hangnail to chemotherapy for cancer taken care of free of charge. The hospital can't refuse to treat them, even when they know they will not get paid. As it is right now, the hospitals try to transfer some of the uninsured patients costs onto the people who do have insurance. Which usually won't affect someone till they get old and find out they have used up their lifetime limit of (Usually $200,000) and by then it's too late.
    Anonymous

• Everything the government gets hold of gets messed up. Health care will be no different, It's already bad enough, Government will just make it worse.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Anon 1237: Michelle Obama's Hospital may not "refuse", but they seem to know how to "steer"
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1122691,CST-NWS-hosp23.article
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Why do you think so many people will take that government insurance that companies will go under if obviously nobody trusts the government?

Plus, many people who are not insured because of previous conditions end up on government assistance anyway.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008