Monkey Boy

my son is 11 months and climbs on EVERYTHING. it is dangerous and i try to redirect his attention, but nothing is seeming to work. any suggestions??
some examples of what he climbs onto:
-swing
-rocking chair
-coffee table
-room barriers
-cabinets

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tell him no more. we tell bri no and yes she cries but she knows shes not allowed to do whatever we say no about and pulls away from it, tries it one more time I say no and she cries and crawls away. Barbara from the baby program tells us its normal. She also advises us to not restrict her becuase she'll learn on her own (as long as it's safe to a point). She sees a ton of moms restrain their kids when they are trying to climb or stand up on coffee tables. She says it's not good to do that because they aren't able to explore the way they are supposed to. Some moms keep their babies away from everything unsafe even if its them crusing furniture and the baby doesnt learn to walk at the normal ages because they are pretty much limiting their child. Just be as safe as possible without restriction to everything.
    darcyk10

Answer by darcyk10 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Just keep an eye on him. I think this is totally normal. He's bound to fall down, that's going to happen. Just make sure he's not climbing something that is way too big that could fall on him or really hurt him if he fell off of it. Get him one of those kiddy jungle gyms that are very small and plastic. He'd probably LOVE it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Sounds like you need to be a serious safety mommy : ) I suggest you anchor furniture to the walls to prevent it from fallin on him, get on his level and go around the house- make sure all outlets are covered, cabinets have saftey locks, windows are secured etc. Redirection is really the only thing you can do at this age- you can explain simply "No do (whatever) you get boo-boo". He will outgrow this behavior - its really just about exploring the big world around him- your job is to keep your little explorer safe : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 12:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Your just going to have to take all the problem furniture out of the room you keep him in,,,,or watch him vary carefully

Answer by louise2 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My aunt said my cousin was a climber and they had to anchor everything to the walls. My son is starting to get interested in climbing, so I might be in the same boat as you soon! Good luck.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 1:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• You should also try giving him something that he IS allowed to climb on!
    twinsmom1107

Answer by twinsmom1107 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008