SO of restroom question...

Since some think a woman shouldn't take their son into the men's restroom, how old is too old for the male child to be going into the women's restroom?
Just the other day, a woman went into the restroom I was in with 5 kids and the oldest, a boy, was at least 10. Is that still appropriate? Should he have waited outside?

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 11:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is a difficult situation no matter which way you go. I have a 6 yo son and sometimes I let him go by himself in the mens restroom with me waiting outside the door, and sometimes I bring him in with me. I am not sure which age is right, I think it just depends on where you are and how you feel as a mother.
    NicEnno

Answer by NicEnno at 11:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest is 13. Up until last year I took that child into the women's room with me. I don't care what others think. I wasn't sending him in alone to a men's room where I couldn't see what was happening and God forbid some creep was in there. Now that is bigger and more mature I allow him to use the men's himself and also take my 8 yr old in with him. I still drag my 6 yr old son into the women's room with me though.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think 10 is too old.. If I had a son, I would let him go the men's room at about age 7 probably.. but I would wait right outside the door.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It really depends where I am at and what sort of place it is. If it is like a mall with huge bathrooms, if there isn't a family bathroom option, I take him in the ladies. He is 8. However, if is something smaller where there are only a few stalls, I send him in the mens and wait for him right outside. Starting at about 4-5 if there was a bathroom that was single stall and the main door locked, I would send him in alone and wait for him outside. If I have to go, I take my daughter (2) with me and make him stand right outside the bathroom door and wait for me. This is all of course if there is no family bathroom option. With a family bathroom option, I always take him with me regardless of anything else.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• 10 is too old IMO. I think after 6 or 7 children need their privacy and should be using gender approperiate bathrooms.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I really don't think it should be that big of a deal to take an older child into a womens rest a room, I mean it's not like they are seeing naked women or something...but I don't think that there is anything wrong with letting an older child use the mens room alone if they are comfortable with it.
    in2sims

Answer by in2sims at 11:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends on where the men's room is. I do not think I could talk my 10 yo into using the women's bathroom any more, but there are some places like the rest areas on the interstate and the mall bathroom where the men's room is down at the end of a long hallway that it makes me nervous.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think up to 6 or 7 is OK. After that, I would wait outside the men's room.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• ditto PPs, after about age 7 they can go in the mens room by themselves if i am waiting right outside the door...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Honestly, my son is 10, and he uses the Men's room. I just wait right outside for him.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010