pacifier usage

what is the best way to get my almost 3 yr old to stop using his pacifier.

right now he only uses it to sleep (naptime and nighttime)

we've tried the pacifier fairy and also trading his pacifier for a toy and he wants nothing to do with any of it.

tcmaneen

Asked by tcmaneen at 11:07 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just take it away. He doesn't need it except for comfort so go get him something that he can swap it out with. It will be a rough few days and if you don't give in then it will all be over and forgotten within a week. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:09 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Take it away. At this point you have waited too long to wean him.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Why are you making him stop? Is it hurting him in some way? If he's only using it to sleep then chances are he's using it as a way to sooth and there's quite the attachment there... When he's ready to get rid of it, he will... My son was almost 4 when he finally decided he didn't need it. He only had it to sleep, but it helped him feel better - how did that hurt him? I don't see a point to forcing the issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• He isn't 3 yet, but, once he is 3, start talking about going to school soon and how big boys at school don't use them. Keep putting that little bug in his ear and he will soon see and start to give it up on his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had to do this when I was a nanny and the best way I found is to play the baby card. He's at the age where being a "big boy" is getting to be a bigger deal so just make the point that pacifiers are for babies. Make sure to point it out whenever you see a baby using one and ask him if he's a baby or a big boy. It worked really well for me! That also works for potty training and swithing from bottle or sippy cups to regular cups!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't know it was really easy to get mine to give it up, I let my son have his binky all the time but he would take it out of his mouth a lot and we would lose them so when all of them were "lost" they were gone for good.
    in2sims

Answer by in2sims at 11:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• then you just have to take it. he will cry for a couple days then get over it. my daughter was almost 3 when i took hers but after she realized that she wouldnt get it back no matter how she acted. she stopped. kids are very smart and after you keep saying no you cant have it..in a slightly firm voice he'll understand
    Sins8shun

Answer by Sins8shun at 11:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• u could try cutting the nipple off it and giving it back to him ...That's wat my aunt did to my cousin.. it worked..
    Mommy_Bear823

Answer by Mommy_Bear823 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do you have anyone close in the family that are expecting? Maybe just say there are other babies out there that need binkies and we are going to put them all in an evelope and send/give them to that new baby. I was lucky once my lo got teeth he no longer wanted his and that was at 9 months sometimes i wish he would take one so he would go to sleep easier, but I have other issues which I have asked for advice on and issues I am loosing my patience with lol.
    kriszaz

Answer by kriszaz at 11:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My sister had to cut the nipple to get my nephew to give it up.

martat

Answer by martat at 11:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010