Breastfeeding to bottle

My baby is almost 6 months old and I am going to stop breastfeeding him in the next 2 weeks. My first question is about how much formula should a 6 month old drink at a time? 4 oz, 6oz? I am also looking for suggestions to soothing him to sleep. Ususally I just breastfeed him even if he just ate and he drifts off to sleep w/o any problems. I also do this if he wakes up at night. I'm afraid that it will be harder for him to go to sleep once I stop breastfeeding him.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 11:15 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of things may be harder for him and you when you switch from breastmilk. Is there a reason you are stopping that any of us can help you with so you can continue to give your baby the best?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:17 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• First of all, I would start with only 2 oz. Formula is WAY different on the belly than BM. If he is satisfied with that or less, he is fine. Only add more if he seems hungry after that. and only add one ounce at a time. He may be constipated. Watch his cues and try to see how long he can/will go between bottles. Then, you know the difference between hunger and needing something else. Formula babies can be overfed if you aren't used to it. Formula sits in their bellies a lot longer than BM, so, don't fret if he goes 4 hours between bottles.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• At that age, he should be eating 6-8 oz. If you're switching from breast to formula, I suggest you buy bottles with nipples that resemble a human's. It'll say on box something about it complimenting breast feeding. Those are the ones to buy. I did a combo of breast and bottle for an entire year and my daughter had no problems with those types of bottles.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Drop 1 feeding at a time and give a bottle instead. Then, 2 weeks later drop another feeding. Keep nursing him at night. Make that the last feeding you give up. I would keep the night time nursing until he was a year or so.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You also might want to try a pacifier, since he can't use you for non-nutritive sucking, after his nightime bottle, give him the pacifier to help him go to sleep. You can ease him off of it once he is transitioned. Also, you may can go straight to sippy and skip bottles. Just put formula in a sippy and he is well on his way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yeah I think it's 6 oz because my oldest DD was drinking that much by the time she was six months old. Best of luck!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• DO NOT SHOVE 6-8 oz down him at first. He needs time to transition. And he may not be ready for that much.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, a bottle fed kid eats that much because parents feed them ALOT at first. newborns only need less than an ounce and people give their kid 4oz+, which is wrong.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I agree that a lot of things are going to be harder for him once you stop breastfeeding. Breastfeeding makes life so much easier and better. I take care of my grandson about every other day while my DIL works and it so much harder to care for a baby and toddler when you don't have "magic milky". My son and I wish we had it!!! It can be very traumatic for some babies to wean. It is better for mom and baby it you can bf for at least 12 mo.

From 6-12 mo babies need 32 oz of formula. Once the child is 12 mo they need only drink water. They don't need to drink cow's milk. Children under 12 mo should never have cow's milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have you already started dropping feedings? If not, expect to push your timetable back. One feeding per week dropped till gone, which means you'll need more than two weeks.

But before you do that... have you even established that baby WILL take formula? Do that FIRST.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010