My situation...

My Mom just won't take care of herself, she has been hospitalized 8 times since last year for her diabetes. She went from type 2 diabetic to type 1 diabetic here recently, she want to a diabetic specialist and they told her the pancreas has stopped working and it wouldn't matter if she got the insulin pump. She doesn't follow her diet or exercise the way she is suppose to. I live 2 hours away and I am a full-time stay at home mom and I go to College full-time. I never get a break other than when my husband helps me, which is quite a bit. But, I feel like i have no family to depend on. And, its like she just doesn't care at times if her diabetes are under control. It's also hurting me alot, because shes only 50 years old and my daughter never gets to stay with her grandmother because she won't take care of herself. I guess it just hurts my feelings she doesn't care enough about herself or me & my daughter to get better.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 11:19 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I see your side, but I see hers too. Just imagine your health crashing down around you. All of the bad things you have done to your body are finally catching up. Whats the point in stopping that behavior when you could live the rest of your life, though not well, comfortable. I am not saying she is right by any means. I do think she needs to take care of herself for you and her grandbabies. It may not have sunken in yet either. It takes a while for me to really get a grasp on what is happening around me. I had one of my best firneds in High School die in a car accident. It took me 6 months to realize he was gone forever. When I finally saw it I broke down and cried for days and days, but up until that point had lived like nothing happened. Maybe she is in denial about it all?
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i'm sorry..some people are just that way. just like with cigarettes..they've live a certain way all their lives and can't let go..they are too selfish. Have you tried giving her a wake up call. Maybe being a little more stern. Telling her..if she wants you to be there and help that she is going to start doing better for herself. some people i think you have to treat like a child...they need it to start out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• OMG, I SO completely understand how you feel. My mom is the same way. Though her diabetes isn't causing quite as many health problems (yet) she is on her way there. She lives just a few minutes a way and my kids are her world. Yet she won't exercise, eat right or do anything to make sure she's better. She almost died a few years ago due to congestive heart failure and 4 yrs later, she is back to where she was - out of breath easily, tired all the time, weight put back on. It makes me SO mad. I even tried the guilt trip of "how am I going to explain to the kids why you're no longer with us" to get her to wake up and do something! Doesn't work. She will do nothing to help herself and do nothing to let me help her. It is SO frustrating and I wish I had some advice, but just wanted to say I do get it. Quite frankly it makes me really really mad that she is so selfish.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:33 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't know if she is in denial or not, but last year she was hospitalized 5 times and this year 3 already for her diabetes. She goes to the hospital and even sees a nutritionist about what to eat and what not to eat. Every time she gets hospitalized her sugar is 400 and she is in terrible condition. I just feel like because she is careless, she is missing out on all of these things with my Daughter which is her only grandchild because she won't take care of herself. She is take 2 insulin shots a day, I don't want to be 30 and not have a mother.
    marcnsarah

Comment by marcnsarah (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• she could be feed up of that schudule lifestyle but she also should consider that yor a stay at home mom
    shilling

Answer by shilling at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010