What to do?!

What does everyone do with their infants for fun? Mine is almost 4 m/o and I'm having trouble keeping him occupied (and from getting bored myself!) all day long! We started taking a baby music class which is awesome but it's only 1 day a week. What do other SAHMs do?

mommy2mason529

Asked by mommy2mason529 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months... hmmm, at that age my son loved me to read and sing to him. he also liked to lay under his mobile on the floor and try to catch the animals. if the weather is still nice where you are take him for a stroller walk and enjoy the weather before it gets too cold
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It can be boring the first year and a hard adjustment if you used to work. It helped me to get involved with other moms and to develop new hobbies. I started reading a lot while I held my baby after he feel asleep nursing. I would go to a fresh food market every day to shop.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:27 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We read, sing, feel different textures, play with toys, go swimming. I do laundry and set him up where he can see me and talk to him about what I'm hanging or folding. Luckily I have a friend with a baby 2 days younger then mine. We try to get together atleast once a week. Do you have an exersaucer or walker? My son will play in his for a LONG time. Its pretty hard not to get bored staying at home.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thanks! I've been reading to him alot and he hang out in the Bjorn while I do housework and we run errands, I just can't help but feel like the things we do don't focus enough on him. Though, I guess if all I did was focus on him, the house would be a wreck and nothing would ever get done :)
    mommy2mason529

Comment by mommy2mason529 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Imma be honest, when my daughter was 4 mo.s I used to buy magazines for myself, and read them outloud to her, not very educational, but, I was reading interesting stuff, and she was listening to my voice... I also would put her in her swing while I cleaned and put some music on to clean, dancing around, she seemed entertained enough...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Most libraries have reading groups starting at birth, the Y has mommy and me classes. He is only 4 months. As he gets older there will be more and more to do with him. Right now you are teaching him to trust, setting his taste buds, and all about the physical world. Talk to him, tell him what you are doing, he doesn't have a clue as to what much of anything is. Sing to him, you said you were reading keep it up. If you want you can go online and teach him baby sign language. My oldest loved it and had a huge vocab with it, I started about 4 months and her first sign was at 6 months. My youngest had no interest, but she talked a whole lot sooner.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Great advise... we've been doing the baby signs and I'm gonna look into the Y for some classes!! I'd love to get a play group going too (that way I can meet some other adults too!)
    mommy2mason529

Comment by mommy2mason529 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010