okay i know tv isn't good for kids but....

I watch my sisters 2 year old child and she will not sit still one min. I try to put just one 30 mins show on for her and she is up in 30 secs. She will not watch ANYTHING not listen and dance to music nothing. I know its not good for kids to watch tv but really she can't sit still anytime...is anyone elses child like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think there are educational videos out there for young children to watch my lo is fasinated with the disney shows and has been watchin them since he was 6 mths old they like to watch all the colors and movement he wil now sit through a whole movie of bugs life or fox and the hound etc....
    kriszaz

Answer by kriszaz at 11:51 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• At that age she should have some interest in TV and music. Is she hyperactive?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Young children have a tendency to not be able to sit still. Maybe if you put one of the children's television programs on she will watch it and learn something from it. I usually put pbs on since they have programs like Seame street among other educational tv programs.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my son is the exact same way. I think tv is ok as long as it is educational and not crap. my son has learned so much from watching nick jr. he even counts in spanish from watching dora and has learned about trying new foods from yo gabba gabba. He is 2.5.
    SUSAN81900

Answer by SUSAN81900 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I disagree that tv is bad for your kids. too much tv is bad and there are shows that are worthless that could be bad. Your daughter is too young to be watching a full tv show right now. At this age they do not have the capabilities to concentrate for longer that 10 min at a time on one thing. When she is ready, make tv special with just a few learning shows and turn it off. Do not just leave the tv on all the time, then they really dont give it attention. Its really nice to have a half an hour break when they are ready to watch an educational show.
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 11:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 2 year old does not just sit and watch TV unless her sister is when My oldest is at school we have sprout or nick jr on but she is usually doing other things also.
    martat

Answer by martat at 12:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and won't watch tv either. We rarely turn it on anyway, but sometimes we'll put on a movie and she'll glance at the screen every now and then, but won't sit and watch it. She's up getting into something that she shouldn't be...............they're not called the terrible twos for nothing. Mine is making me crazy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If she has a favorite show, she should be able to sit for at least a few minutes. My son is a big fan of Sid the Science Kid (PBS), and he can sit through about 15 minutes of it before he gets the wiggles and needs to get up and play.
    That said, every kid is different, and kids at that age have ZERO attention span. Try turning her on to coloring (VERY supervised), and taking her to play outside. Take a ball and head with her to the park.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yup my oldest was like that. SHe only sat long enough for Elmo's world and for a while that was the only way I could get her to eat. Even now she has trouble sitting at the table for dinner, she is bouncing in her seat or sitting half in half out and she is 5. I just tried to keep her meals small and finger food before 4. And keep lots of different toys around for her to bounce around from and to. She was really good at entertaining herself. Oh the one thing she did love to watch when she was under 3 was videos and picture slide shows of herself.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010