Increase Milk Production?

I have my heart set on breast feeding my son. When we were in the hospital I was able to get him to latch on occasion, but between him being a big baby and hard to poistion and it being painful the latch wouldnt last very long. We also found that my nipple is too short and fat for him to comfortable latch to. After the first night home, I started to use the pump. He took to the bottle like it was the most natural thing. I continue to pump and have been getting enough for him. I have been told that to make sure that I continue to produce enough that I should try to nurse him from the breast from time to time. He wont have it. The second my bare boob comes near his face he starts crying and pushing it away. I am worried that my milk supply will either not increase as he needs it, or dry up. Any suggestions?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep pumping, drink LOTS of water, and eat the right foods. As long as he is getting is, whether from the breast or the bottle, it is good for him. Don't give up, mama!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have you met with a lactation specialist? He may just be used to the bottle nipple by now and the specialist might be able to give you some help on getting him to latch better. Check with your doc or the hospital for contact info. I found that I had to have my baby right in front of me for them to latch properly. I used a boppy pillow to help with that. Otherwise, good job pumping! Keep it up and get him as much breastmilk as you can!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do you have a LLL group local? OR can you see an IBCLC? Check out this link for some tips: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• as long as your pumping then your breat wont dry up....i would pump every couple of hours to keep a good flow.....gl...
    KME3

Answer by KME3 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You need to decide if you want to breastfeed or bottle feed. Pumping and bottle feeding is very very difficult. To keep up your supply in the early months it is important for most mothers to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock. That means setting the alarm and getting up at night and pumping. Your baby will also be waking at night and you will be having to bottle feed. I could never do it.

Babies do not breastfeed on the end of nipples and it doesn't matter what they look like. The baby has to have a wide open mouth and when you watch a well latched baby or see pictures you can tell it doesn't matter at all what that end of the nipple is like. You can get your baby to breastfeed. It may take a few days or a week but it is soooo much better than pumping for a year or the recommended 2 years! La Leche League will help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Here is a video that may be helpful. Notice how wide open the baby's mouth is. You want to wait until the baby's mouth is open very wide and then bring the baby to the breast by moving baby with the arm that is holding him. It's called rapid arm movement (RAM).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQHe1eYsnE

http://www.kellymom.com/ is an excellent breastfeeding website owned by a LLL Leader lactation consultant. The is info on increasing your supply and many links.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• the boppy pillow really helps with positioning. as far as the nipples go, try using a warm rag on them for a couple minutes before feeding him. also, there is a nipple cream by lansinoh that draws the nipples out. hopefully this help for you.
    cecil119

Answer by cecil119 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Spend as much time skin to skin with your baby as you can. Try to offer the breast when he has had most of his feeding by bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thank you guys, I have a boppy that helps some. I will have to try that cream!
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• did u try laying next to him to feed?
    pookersmommy88

Answer by pookersmommy88 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010