Why is unemployment in N. Dakota and S. Dakota so low?

glancing at the site 28 States with Improving Unemployment Rates, I saw that N. Dakota and S. Dakota has very low unemployment claims. Does anyone from N. Dakota and S. Dakota know why? Would you advice anyone from other states, who are job seekers, to move there?

Thanks in advance

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 11:32 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• All of the above answers are true. There's not too many people, and a huge land area to cover. Most companies here have a low turn over rate. Some people who work where my hubby does have been there 30+ years.

I would honestly encourage people to THINK hard before moving here for work. You have to be sure that you want to work at that job long enough to take the chance, and that you can stand extreme temps.
    I live in SD, about 40 miles south of the ND border, and it gets in the 100s in summer, and as low as - 50 in winter.

There are a lot of good jobs in this area, and the cost of living is low. (If anyone is looking for work around here, pm me and I'll send you recent listings!)
    mommymonkey

Answer by mommymonkey at 1:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Wow I just looked at that link, they are half what the other states are. Maybe it's because they are less populated and everyone that does live there is there with a purpose. I saw Wyoming was also pretty low, that's another state with a small population. They could be ranching and farming, keeping themselves employed.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There has been an oil boom and a construction boom, and wind energy boom. Also with the low cost of living, they can pay people less around here and its okay---unfortunate but okay
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:56 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would think it has to do with the fact that not that many people live in those states so the competition for jobs is lower.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• People from SD and ND are hard-working people, but that's not the main reason. SD and ND have a lot of agriculture, and agriculture industries didn't take as big a hit with the economy as other industries. They also have developments in wind energy. SD and ND are decent places for factory work because the pay scale is lower than in many other states, so factories can afford to do business there, and because the states are centrally-located. They didn't take the hit with construction like many areas did. Sioux Falls has consistently been on lists of best cities to live in. Bismark, Fargo, and Pierre aren't bad either. Many people are self-employed in those states. Nebraska isn't bad either.

Mommymonkey is right - the climate is hard to get accustomed to in this area. Allergies are tough. Mosquitoes will eat you. Many areas are very rural. You won't find a lot of fast food, lol. It can be a culture shock to move there.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010