Protecting your pregnant belly from a wild toddler?

My son just turned 2 and still think I am a jungle gym. He tries to climb, kick, and jump on my 7 month pregnant belly on daily basis. I have explained to him there is a baby in there and he can't do that because it will hurt her, and he needs to be gentle. He shows me that he understands but after a few momements he doesn't seem to care anymore. Time outs don't work either. Any suggestions?

youngmommi2be

Asked by youngmommi2be at 11:34 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your baby is safe, don't worry. He can't hurt the baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my son was also two when I became pregnant again. and he was the same way. i he was wild and even hurt me. but i had to become serious with him and may seem mean but i had to pull him off me. i just couldn't risk getting hurt seriously. just be firm and make him stay out your lap.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• lol it always bugs me because it freaking kills when dd kicks me in the stomach. but I'm teaching her that hitting and kicking in general isn't acceptable. she's only 19 months old, and she'll cry if I grab her foot and tell her in a serious voice to stop because it hurts. she stops, though. jumping is slightly more of an issue because I don't want to hurt her feelings for falling on me when she's giving me a hug. but if shes doing the run and jump thing, that's not cool either. I let her know, then try to focus her on something else.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 12:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well then get firmer with him, he is old enough to understand stop ! tell him (the next time he tries it) "NOT OKAY !!" do not smile or hug or cuddle him stay strong and firm because he needs to learn this now ot the next thing you know he will be jumping on the baby
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Kids that age have a very short attention span, so he needs CONSTANT reminding, as in, a hundred time a day (so try to be patient with him!). The good news is, your unborn baby is very well protected in there, so short of a baseball bat or a knife, there isn't much your toddler can do to hurt her. He will needs lots of reminding once his little sister arrives, too, so just be prepared for that. She'll get used to him, and probably soak it up. Kids are pretty resilient.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• This is what I did one time, and it worked sooo well! LOL, the next time your 2 year old comes close to your belly: Fall on the floor, moaning and screaming, fake crying and all the other wild antics you can think of. Of course he is going to be afraid that he hurt you or the baby and that's good. Then you take his hand after that's all over and you tell him "soft",say it over and over a few times. It may take a few times or in my case Just once. Good luck!
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010