what age should a child start having chores?

i started my son at 3. Each morning he would grab an already filled cup of water off the table and dump it in the very large guinee pig bottle on the side of the cage and then give her a carrot or celery piece that i of course already have out. Now that he is 4 he wipes the kitchen table off each day after dinner but no longer cares for the rodent. Next year we are going to give him back the feeding of his rodent so that he will have both todo. He gets to choose his reward that he is working toward each sunday night. This week he is working toward lunch at Chik-filet with an hour in the play room, Next week he will be working toward a new v-smile game.

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• As soon as my children were walking they had chores. Nothing difficult until they were older. But my 3 (almost 4) year old has been helping around the house for almost 2 years now... making her bed, picking up her toys, wiping the coffee table with vinegar/water. And my older 2 (10 and 9) help out a lot more now - vacuuming, mopping, picking up, taking care of their room, etc. I cannot stand a messy house and they know to clean up their mess after they are finished playing.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Right from the start - as soon as they can pick up toys to play with, they can also help to put the toys back in the toy basket. At that age, they think it's a game but it's a great habit to start. And as they become older and more capable, the number of chores that they do is increased.
    And I don't reward for chores. My kids are part of the household, not guests, and as such are expected to pitch in.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 12:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my dd is 3 and she waters the plants. she doesnt get a reward for doing it though, she likes to because she feels like a big girl.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I hate the word chores and never used it with my children. I taught them to cooperate and we did what needed to be done. My toddler grandson wipes the table when he makes a mess, picks things up off the floor, and does other little things. My kids did their own laundry from the time they were big enough to do so. The last one done at meals put the dishes in the dishwasher. We would work together to get things done before we would go out to do things for the day. I would never make them do something like clean their room alone.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son's 5and i can't get him to consistently do a single chore. Do you use a reminder or anything? That's so cool that yours does all that!!
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My kids are 6, 3 and 2 and my two oldest have small chores. My 6 year old wipes off the table after meals and my 3 year old helps me sort laundry! :) As they get older their chores will change of course but I think thats good (atleast for our family) for now! HTH!
    Nintendomommy

Answer by Nintendomommy at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I start them out young. Once they are old enough to walk and carry things, I have them pick up their own toys. Once they are old enough to change their own clothes, then they are expected to bring their dirty laundry to the hamper.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my grand daughter just turned 2 she picks up her toys and put her dirty cloths in the hamper
    LindaGig

Answer by LindaGig at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my daughter is five and she has to keep her room clean and put her own dishes up. i also have a 6month old so she helps me with him alot. she loves to help with other things to. she has ben helping since she could walk so it just depends on uand the child on when they r ready to do chores.
    smoochie85

Answer by smoochie85 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i cant even think back when i had to start helping around the house, maybe 6 or 7 but they should always start early as possible to pick up after themselves
    kriszaz

Answer by kriszaz at 11:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2010