is anyone out there experiencing the heart break of their first child away at college? Thank God she's only 3 hrs. away but I haven't seen her in 3 wks. I'm crying every day I just can hardly handle it! I miss her so much and worry so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have three grown kids who all went away, although they stayed within the state lines, I know all too well how you feel. After the first two, I thought my youngest being my son would be easier, but heck it was even harder than before if that is even possible, I survived with daily phone calls just to hear their voice, and it soothed my anxieties. This is a lesson in life mom, and although it can be frighting it is a lesson that will serve her well.
    You need to have faith that all you taught her will stick with her, and be confident that she will make the right choices, she has already made a crucial one which is an education, hang in there mom all will be fine and you will survive and enter a new phase in your relationship with her. A big hug from me to you..

Answer by older at 7:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I just answered another post, her son started preschool and so worried. My daughter who is 3 started preschool and my eyes were watering. I think no matter how old they are you worry and miss them. I feel so bad for you because I know how you feel and mine is just preschool. It will get better for you. I send you lots of "HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I also remember taking my oldest ,then my next and I imagined it would be a breeze with number 2 uh nope.Felt all the ways you are describing both times but for me it got easier as they did well ,made friends ,enjoyed life ,CALLED MOM on a regular basis just to chat -yay-.I always miss them but it did get easier as each settled in well.I need to print this and read it again and again when my last two go to college ,help me remember I survived the first two.LOL on me.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was thrilled for her when she went off to college but I didn't cry ....I had too many other things to do and a Dh and a Job and two other kids. She was a very capable and independent girl so I didn't worry about her at all. She lived in a girls' dorm and had friends. There was no reason to cry.......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh my! I hope you learn to cope. My son is only 3 but I can imagine myself being exactly like you!

*hugs*
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:42 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sorry your having a hard time! My kids are only 6,3 and 2 yrs and I have a hard enough time with the oldest being at school! :) Good luck, I hope it gets easier!
    Nintendomommy

Answer by Nintendomommy at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest will be going away next fall to college and I already cry about it all the time! I don't want her to go! I can't imagine her not being here everyday. She's like my best friend and I'm going to miss her so much. Time just goes by so fast- it really does.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i still remember the day we took our first son up to Syracuse, NY (we live in PA) - - i had packed all of his clothes - he sent half home - said he would get the rest at Thanksgiving - after keeping my tears in until we got out of sight, the dam broke - i went into the back of the van, lay on top of his clothes, sure that i could smell his scent (i had washed all of them) - and cried myself to sleep at about the time we got to Scranton, PA - (maybe 4 hours of crying) - hub woke me up when we got to aunt/uncle's home to return van and i started crying again - cried all the way home (2 hours) - cried myself to sleep the first 6 months he was gone - the first night he was home for break, we both lay on top of his bed listening to music and talked all night - he now lives in GA -happily married - 3 daughters - we still talk every day - sometimes more - there is such a special bond between us -
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Honey - you need to go talk to someone - professional.
    I have a son that chose a college 7 hrs away and haven't cried at all in the 4 years that he's been away and he's my oldest and 1st out the door to college. I firmly believe that it is my job as a parent to prepare my children for the world by making them ready to leave the house so I don't get depressed when they go off to college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My oldest is a senior in college and I still miss him, but am happy that he is thriving and doing well, esp. since he brother is also in college. I still miss him but it did get easier as time goes by. I hope that your daughter will have a great year and that you also get to spend some quality time together on her next break! Hugs.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010