If soy is so bad for kids, ..why is it in the ingredients of most foods??

I am ingredient reader big time and I thought I had read somewhere that soy should only be given in moderation or not at all to kids, yet it is in so many food items!? I don't understand! Did I just read misinformation??

sunnygrl2

Asked by sunnygrl2 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I'd google that... I've never heard that soy was bad for kids. I'm an ingredient reader too and really big into eating only whole, natural or organic food. No extra chemicals and all that junk, and I read a lot about different ingredients, but have never heard this. Only good things about soy.
    icook

Answer by icook at 1:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Because we have crap in everything we eat..do you really think anyone cares? If they did we wouldnt have things like MSG and stuff..but they slip through guidelines probably because big business can pay for it.
    Anonymous

• You may consider looking more into that claim. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, with a death occurring every 36 seconds, or more than 2,300 every day. Twenty-five grams of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. Most modern societies compromise their health by relying too heavily on animal protein as their principal source of protein. Because soy protein contains no
    cholesterol and is very low in calories and fat when compared to equal portions of animal protein, it is an excellent protein source to include as part of an overall healthy diet.

Because degenerative diseases begin in childhood, the long term benefits of soy in a child's diet is indisputable.

livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 7:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2008