i'm having a yard sale...but i have a big problem

my grandmother wants everything to take to her brothers to give to them. Ahhh, yes..i know..i should be kind and just give..but i'm not. I was having a yard sale for a reason! So i could have some extra money to get a jump on christmas shopping. How do i kindly tell her no without being such a bitch? I did tell her i was having the sale for extra money and she said "well maybe they will have a little extra money and can buy it from you"...trying to make me feel bad... errrr

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm on the fence with this one...If you're having a yard sale to help with extra money for your household then by all means do not allow someone else to make you feel bad about it....but then again, if you can help someone else, then it would be a good idea to give somethings that you know they may need.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Maybe you can compromise, if there are things that don't end up selling, you can consider giving them to her provided you are willing to part with them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would tell her that they are more than welcome to come look at the stuff before your yard sale and they can pay at that time but you are selling it and not giving it away.

Make it simple...I sold tops for .25, bottoms for .50, shorts for .25, sets for $1 and so on that way you don't have to tag each individual item and they will know what they have.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I hate that! Tell her you need the money and be done with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would just tell her one more time that I was "Having the sale to make MONEY for CHRISTMAS". Thank her for her lovely suggestion and tell her the matter is closed. Grandma is being a bit rude.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Tell her they are more than welcome to come to your garage sale and whatever doesnt sell they can have but you really need the extra money.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Perhaps a compromise? Tell her that she can have anything for her brother that is left over from the yard sale.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had the same problem with my mom when I was trying to have a yard sale this summer. she kept acting like she didnt want to bother with it and basically wanted me to donate everything. i just kept telling her, i can't afford to not have this yard sale. and... its your stuff, isnt it?
    maybe tell your grandma, whatever is left over you can take to them?
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would tell her that I was going to have the sale, because I needed the money, but that I would be more than happy to give them what is left over, and they were more than welcome to come and look around while I was having the sale and buy anything they really wanted!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yeah..i was thinking of offering to let them have go through what we don't sell...but i don't think my dh will be to fond of that idea. I think he will want to take it to goodwill for a tax write-off
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010