Do you think the Your baby can read program really works?

CharleesMom7

Asked by CharleesMom7 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know, it couldn't hurt though.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 11:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• they make it look so easy on tv but i dont really know, they say you have to work with you lo so much with it who has time for that these days.
    kriszaz

Answer by kriszaz at 11:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• to an extent. its that see and say method. your baby isnt learning to read at all. theyre seeing the word and remembering what it means. they aren't learning letters, the sounds they make, basically theyre not learning phonics. i wasnt taught phonics when i was young and it has haunted me to this day. i have a really hard time spelling because I forget what letters make what sounds. sometimes I can't figure it out, and i feel really dumb.
    my friend wanted to get me that program and I poliently turned him down. I worry about them not learning their phonics.

but i mean as far as do you think kids can really learn to do what th ekids in the commercial are doing? probably
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't know if it works but do not think it is necessary. Just reading to your baby gets them interested in learning.

martat

Answer by martat at 11:46 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I just always get amazed when I see it on TV but I am always sceptical! Plus it's not cheap!
    CharleesMom7

Comment by CharleesMom7 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, but you really arn't teaching them to "read" you are teaching them Sight Words. They are not sounding out the letters or understanding the phonics, they are simply recognizing a pattern of letters that are associated with the action. Just like if you label items in your house - Door, Wall, Floor, chair, bed, sink.....your child will learn that the letters/word represent the item, but unless you actually spell it out and sound it out with them, they really arn't "reading"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:50 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Even if it did it's not a good idea. It's best if kids are left to learn to read on their own. If you don't put your child in school and don't do anything to teach reading almost all children will learn to read on their own by age 12 (John Holt). At age 12 then you can help the few that haven't learned how to read. The problem is when we teach children to read we often do more harm than good. We create reading disorders by trying to teach them before they are developmentally ready. We create psychological disorders by labeling them as having reading problems. My youngest was a premie and has an IQ of 80. He has been evaluated many times and it's always 80. He has been treated by developmental doctors at a major children's hospital and I was told he would never read. He learned to read on his own when he was 12. He is now in college. You don't have to "teach" children to read.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:52 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is using the program right now. It does help them recognize words- and he's REALLY into it. (He is 4 though- not a baby)
    If you use the program the way it's intended, and work with your child/ren in addition to it, it does help a lot.
    We got the VTech "alphabet town" for him to play with when he was young and by the time he was 2 he knew all the letters and their basic sounds- the only thing we've had a hard time with is double consonants...
    All in all, the program provides a launching pad, and it doesn't hurt. One can't expect a couple of DVDs to teach the kids everything- but When I need 20 minutes to finish the dishes or take a break, I'd rather put this on than cartoons!!!
    DH was astounded yesterday when my son READ "The gorilla family." caption on a picture in our photo album.
    mommymonkey

Answer by mommymonkey at 11:54 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We have the DVDs and we really like them, but we aren't using them to teach reading. We use them for entertainment and to help our son recognize words he hears and identify them by pictures (for example, he sees a dog on tv and says "dog") I have no use for teaching my toddler to read - he needs to learn to talk and understand verbal communication first. I know he will read earlier than most just from us reading to him. But the DVDs are still fun and educational, and he enjoys them. I think in order to acutally teach reading from this program, you have to put a lot more into it than we are willing to do. The instructions say to show it twice per day. We watch it maybe once every other day, and we don't use the books or flashcards. For $15 I think the DVDs are well worth the investment!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I say no. It is proven to be better for you to read to your child, talk to them and interact with them than let them watch something intended to teach them. It may or may not help them. Your child can do the same thing by your doing all the things I mentioned, plus, they will learn to actually read as opposed to memorize a sight word.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010