If soy is so bad for kids, ..why is it in the ingredients of most foods??

I am ingredient reader big time and I thought I had read somewhere that soy should only be given in moderation or not at all to kids, yet it is in so many food items!? I don't understand! Did I just read misinformation??

sunnygrl2

Asked by sunnygrl2 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have never heard that. My grandsons dietician wants as much soy protein in his diet as possible...off to research
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• ummm...I thought soy was good for everyone (??) my son drinks soy milk because he doesn't tolerate cows milk well, and that is what his dr told us to try first
    Anonymous

• Ok..her is the answer I found on About.com:
    Question:
    Is soy bad for children?Answer: Soy has been used as a replacement for cows' milk for many years. In the past few years there has been some concern that the isoflavones in soy may have estrogenic effects on infants who are fed soy formulas.

The American Academy of Pediatrics states that soy formulas are safe and effective for infants, and research shows no hormonal effects in long-term feeding of soy formulas.

For older children like your daughter, soy beverages have been shown to have positive effects on cholesterol levels in overweight children. Consumption of soy beverges may also improve lung function in children and adults who have asthma. Using soy on your daughter's cereal is safe, and soy can be fortified with calcium and vitamin D.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• There are many things there are in our childrens foods, that are way worse than soy. Such as hgh fructose corn syrup (dont believe those stupid commercials!), partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and MSG. In my, very slightly educated opinion, I would try to limit foods made totally of soy, but not worry about minute amounts, due to the estrogen. As a side note, soy also decreases sex drive in women, something to think about, especially if you are a vegetarian and eat a ton of soy.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• soy is an overly processed "not real" food and it's bad for people, esp in the form we use it as Americans: as a cheap filler. That's exactly why it's in EVERYTHING: it's a cheap filler. FDA is looking into it (or being pressured to, I should say) to relook at the health issues it can cause especially having to do with hormonal issues (like messing with the thyroid, metabolism and causing goiters and so on). It's a huge allergen that most people don't know about. Now Soy Lethicin, I deem as okay and that's an emulsifier in foods/chocolate and so on...soy sauce I okay for myself once in awhile and fermented stuff like Miso soup is okay once in awhile. But I avoid soy/tofu or breads with soy protein (soy protein isolate and so on) in foods. It has done me a lot of damage. It also disguises itself as "vegetable protein, yeast extract and others).
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 4:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• To Greeneyedgrandma: I can find info about soy on about.com also that says how horrible and damaging it is (try the thyroid site on about.com). I wouldn't fall for everything the internet says and do a little more research on the subject. I think the FUNNIEST part of it is about how it HELPS asthma, when I was a vegetarian for years and an athlete and got sick as hell and docs couldn't figure it out for years and I got asthma even. It was soy, I stopped the soy and my asthma went away: it's a HUGE ALLERGEN! And can cause respitory illness!

Also keep in mind who is behind these "it is safe" crud...the soy industry? Are they paying people to write these articles? I would assume so, it is a HUGE industry and makes a lot of money and they're not gonna go around telling you it can cause problems with your health!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The best way to catapult a product is to give it a "health claim" . Soy is not good for us, yet they get people to "claim" it is and then boom...the buying begins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 AM on May. 26, 2009

• No. 1 reason: IT'S CHEAP.
    Cheaper than real food.
    I agree, soy is horrible for our health...I avoid it in all food and try to cook/bake from scratch mostly. Our health in our family is 10x better and we barely ever in 2 years will get mildly sick.
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009