If I don't believe in God, what if I'm wrong?

Have those that don't believe every considered the risks and benefits? If there is no God, we will all just die and cease to exist. The other possibility offers eternal benefits.

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 12:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "What if I'm wrong?" is a question I asked myself after 36 years of paganism.. I am now a Christian and I have never been happier.. Ever..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Pascal's wager again?

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. A loving God wouldn't send me to hell for mere disbelief but rather look at the person I was and judge me by my character not how well I paid lip service. A god who does otherwise is not worth worshipping. That and what is the whole point of life as we know it if there's an "eternity" waiting. To me the idea of an eternity makes this life seem pointless. I find much more comfort in knowing that this is my one life in a brief existence and what I do gives it meaning and purpose as it is the only life I'll ever have, thuis it will be my legacy as opposed to this being a place holder until we die and move on to eternal suffering or bliss depending on whether or not we paid lip service to a god who has yet to prove himself. I prefer a fleeting life which gives me greater appreciation for life as it is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Logic tells me that there is no god, because there is no proof that one could even exist. Experiences I have had throughout my life tell me that there is something more than just death and darkness out there. At this point, the concept of god has failed me. If the christian god exists, he is not a deity I want any part of. He is not a deity that I have ANY respect for. He is definitely NOT a deity I want to spend the rest of eternity with in the afterlife.

My experiences with the Other Side have made me feel that death is just a spiritual transition--and not an end. And that there will be a life after this one. Not necessarily in heaven, but in the whole of the cosmos. And I am okay with that--and with my life in the here and now.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No matter how much you think you can, you CANNOT reason people into sharing your religious beliefs. And there are more possibilities than just believing in the Christian God, or not.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yeah...Rene Pascal came up with this argument a couple hundred years ago. Didn't work then, doesn't work now.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• "He is not a deity that I have ANY respect for"

How do you know though? Have you met him personally? That's a lot of judging from someone who says they don't even believe in god. How do you know that his "followers" don't have some of it wrong & that their god is actually super cool?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• all i am saying, is don't judge their god based on his followers. People believe what they want to believe & use the name "god" or "Jesus" to justify it. I'm sure they're both up there saying "hey....that's not what i meant you dumb ass".

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I will not believe just for the sake of it. I will not believe out of fear of death and the here-after. I will not believe because of 'what if'. Religion- especially the biblical ones MAKE NO SENSE TO ME. In MY heart, I KNOW there is no God and if I die and I'm wrong, I will stand there right in front of him/her and tell him/her why I couldn't believe and gladly accept my fate.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• that can go both ways, actually or with any religion for that matter
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• no matter what, our human minds cannot fathom the ultimate truth. We can only guess & have "faith" that our belief is right. So...no point in wondering too much as to whats going to happen when we die. For all we know, we're probably all wrong...lol.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010