CATS???

Ive heard that if u have a newborn around a cat that it will lick the milk off the baby is this true?

Mommy_Bear823

Asked by Mommy_Bear823 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pets

• depends on the cat I spose. But ya why wouldn't they?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Ours never did. It is probably an old wives tale. There are probably some cats somewhere that do. Stuff happens. Cats can dislike babies, toddlers, and kids. When my son started walking my cat would attack him. We had to find the cat a home with no children.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My cats never did. But then again they never had milk on them. I breastfeed.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If you have something around that a cat likes, yes, they will probably lick it. You should never *ever* have a baby unattended with a pet - problem solved. I have 4 cats and I don't think any of them ever licked my son when he was a baby. I didn't generally leave milk sitting on his face, and neither should you.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my cat used to chew the nipples off the bottles but never bothered the baby i got rid of her when she chewed through my last nipple
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i think thats funny.

I know dozens of moms who had cats when their kids were babies. Never heard of such a thing. If you make sure your baby is clean, then there will be no milk for the cat to lick up...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have heard that this wasn't true. However, I have also heard that this is true. Way I view this....cats like milk and warmth, so it would be reasonable to think they would be attracted to this. I didn't have a cat when our daughter was real young...not of this reason though.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 12:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• IM thinking yes
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 12:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How very sad that people would get rid of a pet just for acting like an animal. If you are responsible enough to keep bottles away from your cat, then you have solved the problem without giving away a family member.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The old wives tale says that a cat will suck the breath from a baby if the baby smells like milk.

While it's never smart to leave a newborn unattended with any animal, no matter how gentle they may be...I have never known ANYTHING like this to happen and all of our cats are indoor cats that have been around babies.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010