any tips for moving?

we're moving in 3 weeks from a 2 bedroom duplex to a 3 bedroom house! im super excited and i know i have to get started NOW, but any great tips? i want to move in organized and with a fresh start. not taking anything we don't use with us.

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 12:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I just moved...go thru everything as you pack it and thow the get rid of stuff in a cleared out section in the garage or a back corner. Label everything. I put KITCHEN really big and ten I started stacking all boxes in a huge corner in my living room so I didnt have boxes all over the house. I tried to pack one closet or section of hte house each night. One night i took down all pics, another night all kitchen stuff I dont need everyday. The last week we used all paper products so I wouldnt hav eto do dishes and the kitchen got packed. Look in phone book under box factories..their are alot of them and you can get reject boxes for really cheap. Put comforters, stuffed animals and such in white trash bags and label them. make sure they dont get taken out to the trash!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Pack up one room at a time. Make sure you lable throroughly. Anything you find in that room that doesnt belong there or you arent going to take with you put in separate boxes and move them room to room with you so you can find the specific places the out of place items belong and you can keep filling the do not use/want box.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• get boxes and a moving van
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it helps to lable your boxes, like "kitchen" "living room" "bedroom" ect. that way you can just put the boxes in that room and unpack it there rather then having a bunch of boxes in one spot which doesnt work well when you have big peices of furniture to place in rooms to begin with and you dont need the clutter of all rooms in one room lol.

use good quality boxes, the ones my SIL brought for us from burger king were only meant to hold lighter things so of course we had a few boxes that didnt hold up. you could also have packing tape ready if you want to tape up the bottom of the boxes.

always do a recheck when your all moved out. sometimes things are left behind like i almost forgot my utensiles when i moved, thank goodness i did a recheck.

if you see your new neighbores, smile!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• also...take a day, if you havent already, and go through everybody's clothes and take the ones you dont want to goodwill or any used store you can donate them to or have a garage sale before you move. so it will be like a fresh start over once you get into your house
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• make up the beds first in the new house...kids will have a home base on their bed and you will need to crash with home hard the first day is....pack a Mom's bag with your purse...scissors should be in that bag and anything you don't want to hunt for.

have a TV and movie ready for the first night...you might have to wait for cable and internet...screen time for kids will make the new space seem like home.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• you ladies have been really helpful. i don't think i'm so overwhelmed now! i loved the room a night and paper stuff the last week so that i don't have to wash anything. my goal is to have everything clean, so that really helps!
    Hollea

Comment by Hollea (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Box things by room. Label ALL boxes. Expect things to be broken and if they aren't it's a bonus. Keep in mind that no matter how organized you are things will be disorganized anyway. (That will keep you sane. LOL!)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 1:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Discard or donate before you move.
    Hire movers and packers, if possible.
    Label and color code everything, according to room-if packing yourself.
    Have a box of needed items-cleaning supplies (movers will not move these), scissors, tape, sponges, TP, PT, hammer, small tools-in your car and handy.
    Yes, beds first.
    Have the new place professionally cleaned before you move in-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• label everything that goes into a box. put the least used stuff in the first boxes that you pack then color code the boxes on unpacking priority we used green for the most needed stuff yellow on the boxes where we would need stuff soon like fall clothing or winter clothing and red on the stuff we might need but rarely use. The best advice is prune prune prune get rid of anything ou dont use and wont use esp paperwork and old stuff you have been hanging onto for no reason. Yardsale craigslist for extra money to decorate your new place and freecycle and donate whatever is left
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010