Why is it that when someone gets stuck with a pencil led..it just never comes out?

My son asked me this. He was messing around with a sharp pencil a few years ago and stuck himself in the leg with it. The tip broke off.I got the little chunk out but it still left a pencil mark and its still there.
I don't know how to answer that..I just know that thats what always happens! LOL
Any of you know why?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The pencil lead is really graphite and the body can't break it down, so it just sections it off so it can't do any harm to the body. The body should build a mass of like scar tissue around it - this will help hold it in place, too, so it doesn't float around to someplace it could cause damage. Similar things happen to bullets left in.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• the same thing happened to me when i was 10 but the pencil stuck in my leg and no led broke off but i still have a mark, i think it just stains the skin kida like a tattoo ....i guess :P
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't know, but I've wondered since I was 8! My stepdad plopped down on his bed that I was standing beside and bounced a mechanical pencil off and it came straight down onto my foot! That was 13 years ago and I STILL have a mark that's just as dark as the day it happened!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Interesting scienc spot!!Makes sence put that way, I will explain it to my son when he gets home from school!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010