If we are allowed to enjoy freedom of speech in this country why post anonymously??

I think it is ridiculous that soooo many people feel they need hide behind that anonymous tag. I understand if you're posting something extremely personal but to use it as a shield is COWARDLY. Some people have some pretty out there opinions if you ask me but they are all ENTITLED to have them. People who post anonymously to rant or argue obviously don't have enough confidence in themselves and what ever they are saying to stand behind it. I would have much more respect for someone whose opinion I may not agree with, or even someone who is just plain ignorant but isn't afraid of standing behind their own words...How do you feel?

itsme0221

Asked by itsme0221 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The only time I post anonymously is if I'm not in the mood to be bombarded with messages from people who don't agree with me and feel the need to attack me personally. Even then, if someone calls me on being anonymous because they're rubbed the wrong way or whatever by something I say, I have no problem fessing up to who I am.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Right on, dedicatedrider:-) The nasy emails show that some don't like the freedom of speech:-)
    Anonymous

• I post under anonymous because I do not want a bunch of messages with no justification flooding me telling me I'm wrong. I am very open to listening to other's opinions, however, I find a lot of the messages I receive are from uneducated individuals - and I'm sorry - I do not have the patience to deal with ignorance.

I post and read other's replies with an open mind. I just do not want to be emailed or pm'ed.
    CBodden

Answer by CBodden at 12:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• How much can we beat this dead horse. People post anon. GET OVER IT. move on. Or make yet ANOTHER post about it. Good for you. You post under your real name. you want a cookie?
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I sometimes post anonymously because I have been flamed and called filthy names and cursed for stating my opinion under my name. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with the hassle of it all.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My husband once told me, "If what you are saying must be said anonymously, it doesn't need to be said at all."

Those are the words I live by. Same goes for reporting people to DCS etc, if you are so unsure that the person has done wrong, that you must report them anonymously, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

When I see a post with anonymous beside it I don't even bother reading it, that prettymuch means that lost my respect at the "anonymous" branding.
    muddysuzi

Answer by muddysuzi at 1:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree, there are times when I know my answer is going to go against the grain. I don't feel like explaining myself to a bunch of women who really just want someone to harangue. If it is an honest debate and someone changes my mind about something in the discussion, I will write that my mind has been changed. But, I don't want to spend valuable time being sweared at because of a difference of opinion.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I don't post anonymously. I'm not afraid of a few angry women on the internet that can easily be blocked. If they don't like my opinion, waaaa they can call the waaaambulance and build a bridge and get over it. I have more respect for someone who posts with their screen name than someone who hides under the anonymous title. I understand being sick of getting flamed, but who cares what they say, they obviously can't understand differing opinions. Screw 'em!
    punkmama27

Answer by punkmama27 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Then muddy, perhaps you haven't been the blasted with the nasty emails for stating even plain facts. I do so at times to avoid the nasties in the inbox:-)
    Anonymous

• Maybe I like being annonymous and I have that right to be annonymous. I am not hiding anything and I am consistent in everything that I say.
    Anonymous