Root canal questions..

I'm having a root canal done on my front left tooth next Monday. Will they have to put me under or just numb the area? How will I feel afterwards? Will someone need to bring me home and will I feel like working the rest of the day...I have an in home daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• I had a root canal a couple of years ago and they don't usually put you to sleep they just numb the area, it looks scary but it didn't hurt at all. You may want to rest for a couple of hours after though.
    Cheri739

Answer by Cheri739 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They will give you laughing gas if you'd like (prob at an extra charge) and they will numb you. You should be fine afterwards, to drive yourself home and go back to work.If your nervous you ould always have someone accompany you and take the day off but you SHOULD be fine.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I got shots in the area. Had the root canal. And then went to work answering phones and taking care of customers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• when i had a root canal they just did local anesthesia but it was strong enough that someone had to drive me home.
    i felt pretty groggy the rest of the day but not really in pain at all. I didn't take the narcotics they prescribed either, just took 800mg of Ibuprofen instead (i don't react well to narcotics).
    Honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as when I had my wisdom teeth pulled
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• A few years back I had a root canal done on a molar. I was given a local anesthetic similar to what you would get for any other dental work just perhaps a bit more. Afterwards, I felt nothing for a while and then it hurt...not as much as I feared having heard other peoples stories but it did hurt. I drove myself to and from the appt which was a good hour drive...didn't work the rest of the day but probably could have.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You will be numbed just like you would a filling. You may or may not get pain meds. You will be sore, but that is going to be from the trauma caused by the procedure itself. The nerve is taken out of the tooth in the process but the gums and upper jaw may be sore. It's not that bad of a procedure. I know the adage "I'd rather have a root canal than...." makes a person think that it is bad, but it's no more painful than getting a filling.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have had several, no big deal, they numb the tooth do their thing and I went back to work. Frankly, my tooth hurt so damn bad, I was never so happy to see a needle heading my way! I knew at least after the shot, I would be out of pain.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I was fine after. Like the others, it was just numbed and I was normal after, though I did take Advil for a day or 2 and had a prescription for something stronger. The worst time, if I remember, was the 2nd day and night, not the first day.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had one on the same place. I got numbed and that was fine. Most of the 'pain' is during the procedure, holding my mouth open so long. I was fine after, same as if it was just a filling.

Good luck!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I've never had one on a front tooth, but I've had three molars done, and it was no big deal. The hardest part was keeping my mouth open for so long. It was no different from having a filling done except for the length of time it took.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 2:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010