how do we stop or three year old from throwing a fit everytime she doesnt get her way?

fairytale2mommy

Asked by fairytale2mommy at 1:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a three year old daughter and usually if she throws a fit because she doesn't get her way I put her in time out. That usually works. I also tell her that if she doesn't behave she won't get no snack for dessert..That always helps.
    mamadaniof2

Answer by mamadaniof2 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• we do use time out, i read a book that suggested ignoring the behavior and that should stop it, not so much in our case she yells and cries even louder! taking away snack iwould feel terrible for her to watch all the other kids, her sister and daycare friends, eat while she couldn't! humm....maybe this is my problem i am tooo soft and she knows it! thanks
    fairytale2mommy

Comment by fairytale2mommy (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We take away popsicles, toys or privelages, put them "on the rug," send them to their rooms, or ignore the screaming, depending on the situation. Be consistent- NEVER give in.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Redirect her and tell her that acting that was does not get her anything, and mean it. Reward positive behavior. If she does not get her way or does something special, thank her, tell her she did well, and reward her somehow. We put stones in a jar, and when it's filled, the children will get a reward.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Don't give in. Don't coddle her to stop the fits. Tell her that she's not getting x,y or z and that the way she is acting is unacceptable. Send her to timeout until she can get herself together. This does not work over night but does work in the long run.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand? How do you catch a wave upon the sand? How do you nail Jello to the wall? 3 yr old throw fits!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Discipline. Time out, Taking toys, no tv. Etc. Make a rule and stick to it. Period! Everytime!

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I send my 5 year old to his room and ignore the fit until he is over it.
    cbearsgirl

Answer by cbearsgirl at 2:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• if a regular time out doesn't work then they go to their room, no toys... they can come out when they are ready to apologize for their behavior
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010