Just showing up at school...

How many would just show up at school randomly to see how your child is doing and get a peek at how the teacher interacts with the students?
At what grades would you do it and how often?

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 1:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• I personally wouldn't do it at all unless I could peek in without my child seeing me. Otherwise I would make sure it was right before lunch or something, so we could spend time together. I feel that if my child sees me, his attention will be on me and not the teacher.

If I had doubts about my child's education, though, that would be a different story - I would be int here all the time!

Oh another idea would be going in to volunteer on a regular basis, so the kids are used to me and I don't steak their attention. Then I could still see what goes on in the classroom.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son's school requires parent service hours, 40 a year. So the teachers at this school are totally use to parents dropping in. If I thought there was a problem I would go in anytime. My kid is in 6th grade and I haven't done it this year yet, but I am sure I will soon.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want other parents doing it either... it's disruptive and poses a security risk!!! Maybe at a preschool if there are one way mirrors, but that's it. If you want to know what's going on TALK to your kids and their teachers, or volunteer in the class room!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Ohh... And you can't just walk into any or our schools in this region... you have to be buzzed in and then you are escorted to the office... and I like that!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It is like that at my kid's school too. All the doors are locked and you have a visitor badge to get in the buildings. You have to check in in the office and be escorted into the class building. Also all parents have to have a background check before volunteering.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't. You would embarrass your child. Not a good idea. You would have to sign in, then the principal would probably walk you to the class. You could become a lunch aide. Or help out at recess.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Things aren't quite that extreeme where I live, yet. You still do have to check in with the office and get a visitor's pass. I do have a question for Morgain - How is showing up at your child's school a security risk?
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I feel very welcome at my boys' school. I would never drop into their class rooms unannounced to spy on the teacher. It is disruptive to the learning of all of the students and pointless. If I'm trying to discover how the teacher interacts with my kid outside of my presence, clearly being in the classroom is going to make that impossible, unless I can do so without the teacher noticing me.

Honestly, if I were that suspicious about the teacher's behavior, I would be considering removing my child from the school/classroom rather than worry about spying. If you don't trust the teacher (regardless of whether it's warrented), a stable parent-teacher relationship is impossible. That relationship is essential to any child doing well in class. Parents and teachers working together is best for the student.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's a security risk because there would be random adults roaming the halls. They can't have that. Someone who doesn't belong could come in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I love the fact that our school has an open door policy. We do check in at the office though. :) It is a small school and everyone knows everyone. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2010