Why do they sterilize needles for lethal injection? adult content

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL That's an interesting thought. My guess is because any injection is a medical procedure and they have to follow the normal protocols..... if the stuff was contaminated I suppose it could be cruel and unusual???
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Probably to protect the person handling the syringe in case they stick themselves before it is used on the convict.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well, I think it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment if they used a rust bent needle...but I think compared to being put to death, a rusty needle pales in comparison.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• LOL!!! That's a good one! Seems like a waste of rubbing alcohol to me!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• something to do
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 1:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• What exactly do you mean sterilize needles? Most needles come in a single use package or with a "protective cover" on it, which means it is sterile until you remove that cover. You wouldnt take an alcohol swab and wipe a needle off because of the chance of sticking yourself. No medical proffesional is going to use a needle that isnt sterile(hence in a protective cover or package). The only risk of contamination by the needle is AFTER it is used on the patient which is why there are "safety devices" on them. After used you activate the safety which means you are putting a cover on it that is already attached to it. You simple push it up(on most) and put it directly into a sharps container...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There's a lot of things I don't understand about lethal injection. I mean if the prisoner comes down with an illness, they have to wait until he's better before they give him (or her!) an injection that's going to lead to their death. Why bother?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010