Does your husband have to work nights?

I work at home during the day and he works nights. I have to do all the homework duty, diner, bathing of our kids unless its his night off. I miss getting to see him and I hate having to do everything myself everynight. How do you deal with this?

jnd951999

Asked by jnd951999 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Mine does.. he leaves the house at midnight or 1230 - then his shift ends at 11am, many days he doesn't get off work until 1, 2 or even 3 some days - I work 8:30 to 5 - bring our son to care in the am and pick him up when I get off work, I guess mine is easier in the fact he sleeps right after he gets home from work, we wake him up at 6 when we get home, then we all go to bed at 9 ( on ideal nights that is ) but we still get time together- granted I do all the chores, he appreciates it and tells me every chance he gets and will and does help out when he can.!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Mine used to.. I hated it. I was super lonely at night, but I did just get "me" time after the kids went to bed.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Hmm mine doesn't work nights... but he does wake up at 3am to drive out to the Rig for 6am... then he works till 6 or 7 at night... depending on how the day went... sometimes he's come home from work much later than that and he's usually in bed by 930 10pm-ish so most nights I only get to talk to him for about an hour or two... if that.

I try to keep my mind occupied, otherwise I drive myself crazy with how lonely I feel etc. I usually do scrapbooking, crocheting or even curl up with a good book.
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes, I work days while he is home with our 1 yr old. Thurs-Sun he works from 4pm until 2am. We "share" responsibility for cleaning duties, laundry and meal prep. I say share as most of the cleaning falls on me. He apparently has no idea how to wash dishes and take care of our son at the same time yet I can have a load of laundry going, the kiddo playing nicely, dinner cooking and be washing dishes all at the same time. Some men just can't multitask.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• we have done it in the past- and as of tonight he starts nights again for the first time in about 6 yrs
    when the kids were little it SUCKED because trying to keep them quiet all day was a pain in the butt and then we fought a lot because I hated how on his days off he just could not seem to get out of bed to go do anything with us. I dealt with it but hated it

This time around the kids are teens and are gonna be gone all day so he can sleep and I'm gonna look for p/t work for something to DO
    we will be able to have time for us either when he goes to bed around 8 am when they leave...or when he gets up jsut before they get home, so that should be OK...I'm actually looking forward to being able to watch what I want on the TV in the Living room and making simpler dinners ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• * he will be doing 7pm to 7am 3-4 days a week
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My husband does. Actually he works swing shift, so half nights and half days. But when he is on nights, me and my son just hang out, and we talk on his breaks. I miss him, but it truly is not that bad. We just make up for it when he is on days!!!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh and I should add - I am far far far from being a supermom or even thinking I am one, lol. I just have stuff that needs to get done. Of course, it's not always easy but you find time.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010