How would you explain death to a 5 year old?

I think I did okay, but my 5 year old picked up a frog outside & accidentally dropped it and it peed everywhere, quit breathing & died. She started crying hystarically and said she didn't want to die because she would pee her pants and not be able to breathe. What would you say to her?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 1:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My kids aren't that old yet, but when we lost my Uncle I sat them down and explained the physical aspect of death. Because my DH and I have different views on the spiritual side I didn't get in to that. I simply told them that when we die our bodies stop working, there is no more pain or sickness... They just stop working like their Simba doll (who used to talk, but quit working). I told them we bury them in the ground so that they can return to dirt and help to feed the planet - I didn't think I needed to cover all the stuff about embalming...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The truth...That the frog didnt die because it peed...and neither would she.

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010